Data compare on similar appliance

As more people use sense, I would like to think there is a lot of data available to compare appliances. As a new user, I just got my fridge identified. I would like to be able to compare how much energy my unit is pulling to (a) other users with the same model number and (b) to the average user (i.e.- all fridges). Is this something that could be implemented? Ultimately, what I’d like to know is, is my fridge an energy hog and should I be looking at replacing it? It’s hard to do just with google searches. I can see estimates for certain things, but it’d be nice to compare apples to apples. Just a thought…

Sense says my fridge turns on ~40x per day, for a total of ~11h.That seems like a lot to me, but I have no real knowledge about fridges. That being said, it says my total estimate is only 290kWh/year (which seems pretty good).

7 Likes

I have a GE GFSS6KKYCSS and I can’t even go into how much I dislike it, what a waste. it’s been discontinued I think, for good reason. It’s running at significantly over the energy rating but I can’t afford a new one right now.

the sense notes say it should run at 115av 60hz 5.2 amps

Screenshot_2018-03-14-10-03-19%5B1%5D

`

Good suggestion @Warner1281 arrner1281. To pick up on that suggestion, I would like to see Sense data on new electrical devices so before I buy them. We could see what the usage may be. Sense could monitor the devices and qualify them - collecting their data as well. It would be kind of like Energy Guide tags on appliances or MPG labels for cars. Like @Becky, I would like to have seen Sense data on my last fridge before I purchased it.

5 Likes

I am not convinced this would work. Take my second home which I rent out for vacation rentals sometimes. Depending on the guest the same fridge can use .9 KwH/day or 1.7. Point is it varies with the consumer.

1 Like

While you make a valid point. Sense has data over 1000s of homes and devices accross the country. Thus the feature ‘compared to all sense users and compared to sense users in your area’. Even energy star gives only and average savings.

Taking this to the next step and offering the public a potential compare list. “Our data shows this brand appliance could potentially save you $$ Compared to this or that or all appliances”
Maybe even a partnership with energy star?

1 Like

someone who knows more about data and statistics will have to correct me, but IIRC, there is a system that looks at a “normal range” rather that “average”. Would that give shoppers more of a realistic expectation if you remove the outliers?

1 Like

As a general rule with “efficiency” labels my guess is that’s it’s an uphill battle to keep things up-to-date unless, say, your box and appliance labels are made of e-ink and are online and update themselves regularly!

Here’s the physical Energy Star label from the box of my just-installed heat pump …

@Becky Check the “Most Efficient” vs the SEER rating of this unit!

That speaks to a “normalizing” across, I’m guessing:

A: A smaller dataset of which this unit is an “outlier” or …
B: A smaller dataset in which this unit was not included because it didn’t exist yet … and is an outlier, or …
C: Lazy stats and graphics.

For completeness, here’s the “live label” from AHRI.

https://www.ahridirectory.org/Certificate/RenderFTCLabel?ReferenceId=201754426&Program=41

2 Likes