Data Reset - Uh Oh... Game over!

So we added the solar panel CT and on advice of support had to reset data only. We did and logged out of the app and logged back in. Guess what? No devices, no data, Signal check hung at 0% and no Solar… sigh… starting over again from ground zero.

I would have never wiped the data (only had a weeks worth) had I known I literally would be stuck at new again, this means I lose all the devices that I had edited, etc… what a nightmare.

Great Product, hopefully engineering will catch up soon with the bugs that plague this unit and we all win.

Hey @rmason,

Sorry it wasn’t clear what a data reset would do! In that situation, it’s best to do a reset as a hardware change (ie. adding solar CTs) could affect device detection.

From what it sounds like, you’ll be back to where you were in no time! Thanks for the patience and support.

This is a big deal. Consider what effect a Sense hardware failure would imply to a customer who has been using the system for a long time. I would recommend Sense take this on as an important update. This will only get worse as you get more and more customers using your product for an extended period of time. I have been using your product for 8+ months and would be very pissed if I had to lose all that valuable data.

2 Likes

Yeah tell me about it… device is a brick at this point.

No device is dead…signal check stuck at zero, no devices found, no data, no solar… just a paperweight

So the real issue here is the tech support person didn’t understand what a data reset does, this left the unit in worse shape than the initial issue (solar CT not detecting inverter power on/off during install), so I lost a all my detected devices that I had located and labeled, I lost all the historical data and worse yet this left the device in an inoperable state. The device no longer shows any devices (just one large other), the Solar is gone completely and the unit is stuck at zero for 30 hours now on signal check. Basically I have a $300 paperweight.

So the lesson here for us is to question support when they ask you to perform a task.

As to support if you don’t understand the implications of a task DON"T tell the customer to do it!

I have a bad taste in my mouth now due to this experience, a once advocate is now on the fence with a dead unit…

I’d just like to add an encouraging word here.

I reset my data several weeks ago. What happened was basically the same as what you’re going through: one big Gray bubble. But things improved quickly. It seemed like it discovered most of the previously discovered devices much quicker the second time around. Within a couple weeks, most of my devices were rediscovered. I say “most” because it still hasnt rediscovered a couple devices, but offsetting that it discovered a couple new ones so the net number of devices are the same.

So cheer up, things get better and faster than the first time around.

Man I so hope you are right. At this point its been 30 hours and I have zero results to post. The unit shows 0% complete for the Signal check (normally its at 100% in less than 12 hours), the solar shows disabled as the original issue still plagues this unit (unable to detect power off on a Enphase Microinverter) and its detected zero devices (think of all the devices you have tweaked/discovered/edited/renamed,etc…).

I swear I think I am better off at this point to just start over.

Update, day 3, still down. Solar popped back up. Here is what support had to say about the entire matter (keep in mind this was after me emailing them for days and then finding the CEO’s email and relaying to him what was going on.)

“Thanks for staying in touch. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. I manually calibrated solar from my end and you are correct on the fact that device detection starting after the signal check process. I am working with our higher level support to address the delay in the process. I will get back to you as soon as I get word from them”

Still no devices, signal check stuck at 0% day Four after was incorrectly instructed to do a data reset by a level one tech.

Hi @rmason,

Our support team can definitely help you get your monitor up and running. I suggest continuing to work with them.

So far now its been 9 days and 7 emails later… making progress just not very fast. There seems to be in interesting correlation, no devices found for a few days and I launch an email to support, then mysteriously I get a few devices to show up immediately followed by an email from tech support saying “We see you have found x new devices” as if by puer coincidence they appeared and then they checked and emailed. What I suspect is happening is they manually trigger this process, the devices get added and then they email as if to say “I don’t know what you are complaining about we see you just had x devices added” sort of insulting actually. Been in networking 26 years now…

Had the same experience. Gave up on pestering the Support Team and am now in the wait and watch mode. Very few devices detected after 4 months. Solar data appears to be correct and useful.

Yes sadly it’s never going to start Auto detecting on its own again you will have to constantly pester support until they manually go behind the scenes and configure it to start detecting devices again.

I had to do that about four different times before I ever got any results even now I have to contact them about once a week.

Randall Mason

Carolina Computer Services

Office (919) 736-4500

Web - http://www.CarolinaComputerServices.com

Storagecraft Backup Solutions (r) Cloud based Virtualization (VMware/Hyper-V) Infrastructure Services (r) Server Sales and Service (r) Workstation Sales and Service (r) Laptop Sales and Service (r) Network Solutions (r) Antivirus/Malware removal (r) Remote Backup & Support (r) Wide Area Networking (r) VPN’s, Laptop Sales and Service

Hi Randall,

I can assure you that detection does not require constant manual configurations and it will automatically detect devices without user intervention. One of our device detection algorithms batches detected devices so that is likely what you experienced.

Hey Ben it’s time for the weekly getting someone to do whatever magic they do behind the scenes to get my unit to start sensing more devices it always seems to magically since devices after I email support so here’s your weekly email.

Randall Mason

Carolina Computer Services

Office (919) 736-4500

Web – http://www.CarolinaComputerServices.com

Storagecraft Backup Solutions ® Cloud based Virtualization (VMware/Hyper-V) Infrastructure Services ® Server Sales and Service ® Workstation Sales and Service ® Laptop Sales and Service ® Network Solutions ® Antivirus/Malware removal ® Remote Backup & Support ® Wide Area Networking ® VPN’s, Laptop Sales and Service