Devices detected, but ZERO run times and ZERO power used...very strange!

I was excited to see that my Sense had FINALLY detected our refrigerator and associated Icemaker, but when I went into devices I found that no power had been consumed and neither had run at all. I work in the field of data analytics, so it seems strange to me that your algorithms can detect devices with no data to work against. Or, is perhaps due to bugs in your applications not presenting data that actually does exist. I’ve marked both for now with ???, and will watch to see if anything does show up. Any other suggestions?

1 Like

Wait and see. I’m not sure why this happens, but it occasionally takes time for the devices to catch up.

I think this is a bug in your reporting. In order for the analytics to discover a pattern, they have to have observed it…probably many times, and compared that to already discovered devices in your data bases. So, to help us confirm the pattern, we need to see the data used by the analytics to do the discovery. So, this is most likely a bug in your reporting of device discovery, and it affects both the Sense Droid app and the web app.

Andy

Here’s the most recent instances I’ve seen this: when I replaced a garbage disposal and dishwasher, each month the old appliances would be refound, with zero power usage, etc. It was correct that they hadn’t been used, but not smart enough to determine the devices had been replaced - because it continues to sift through old data to find things.

Sorry this happened, @andy. There should be data there when the device is initially detected. We’re looking into this. Would you mind submitting a ticket to support so they can take a closer look?

Sounds like the answer. We had to replace our 18 year old refridge (which had been found, though not reported very reliably) back in November, so I’ll bet this “discovery” is based on the old data. Should I delete the new findings, or is there some other way to tell Sense to look for new patterns.

The new refridge doesn’t have a traditional rotary on/off compressor, it has something LG (the maker of our Kenmore) calls a “linear compressor”…basically a magnetically driven piston, which works only as hard as it needs to…pretty cool, maintains temperatures MUCH closer to set point, and who knows about life. The power pattern should be VERY different than a normal compressor. This unit also has a refrigerator door icemaker, which needs air flow from the freezer unit, another difference in power pattern.

Thanks,

Andy

I’d be glad to, and I’m pretty sure that Nicolas Haley has identified the “discovered with zero data” problem. See his post of 1/17 at 9:46 AM. He saw a similar thing with a dishwasher and disposal replacement. My response to him a few minutes ago was

Sounds like the answer. We had to replace our 18 year old refridge (which had been found, though not reported very reliably) back in November, so I’ll bet this “discovery” is based on the old data. Should I delete the new findings, or is there some other way to tell Sense to look for new patterns.

The new refridge doesn’t have a traditional rotary on/off compressor, it has something LG (the maker of our Kenmore) calls a “linear compressor”…basically a magnetically driven piston, which works only as hard as it needs to…pretty cool, maintains temperatures MUCH closer to set point, and who knows about life. The power pattern should be VERY different than a normal compressor. This unit also has a refrigerator door icemaker, which needs air flow from the freezer unit, another difference in power pattern.

Thanks,

Andy

Is there a way to tell Sense that the devices are new, so toss out the old pattern? It’s pretty typical for devices to be changed out, sometimes far more frequently than refrigerators. There should be a way to tell Sense, so it knows to start the discovery over from scratch. Else, this can go on, and on, and on.

Regards,

Andy

I delete it each time it shows up - about once a month for the 5-6 months since we replaced the disposal. The dishwasher was only found once or twice in those months, and hasn’t been reidentified in a while.

We have a Samsung fridge that doesn’t have the typical pattern I see others posting. I don’t know much about the compressor, but it also has an in-door ice maker that has been detected (the grinder part when people get a glass of ice anyway). The fridge has been detected fairly reliably. I have some old posts which have the pattern, I’ll edit the post later with a good image of it when I can find some time.

1 Like

Got it, thanks Andy. Talking more with the engineering team, they’ll be eager to get this logged as a potential bug, and the support team will be able to document your issue thoroughly so the team can reproduce and scout out some solutions. I’ll try and update this thread when we know more!

I’ve learned that Sense discovering devices, but not reporting any power consumed or any times on, is indeed a bug that Sense engineering is working on. Fingers crossed for rapid resolution. I’ve left those devices in place instead of deleting them because I’m hoping that power and run data will become available sometime in the not too distant future.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.