Grouping or Tagging devices as something I've named

I have multiple stovetop burners and my oven has multiple elements in it. Each of those elements reports as a different device (which is great!). I wish there was a way to group multiple devices into a single “Tag” or “Item”.

For instance, I’d like to arbitrarily create a “Tag” named Oven. Then, in my device window, I’d like to associate the 2 elements with that Tag. I could name the device “Oven Element (top)” and “Oven Element (bottom)”, but then I would like to be able to view my “Tag” to see energy usage.

I would do the same for my Stove Top … Burner (back left), Burner (front right), etc … but I would Tag them all as Stove Top (and would like to be able to view the stove top usage, similar to the way I view device usage, daily, monthly, etc).

This would be useful for other items as well. My dishwasher reports as a motor, heat source, and pump. It would be great to individually see what “device” uses the energy, but also be able to lump them together under a tag, and view that macro view.

Option to aggregate devices

Great idea, I would love that too!

I think this came up on the FB forum. We need the ability to compose multiple learned devices into a single whole unit, and to decompose a learned device with multiple physical devices into separate units.

@brianmur I doubt it would be easy to decompose a learned device, since it’s learned. It seems like being able to group things would be easier.

From a machine learning perspective, neither is easy. Grouping devices into one entity doesn’t require an ML change, however, just an aggregation of all the parts ML does recognize into a single displayed entity. That’s how I interpret this feature request.

Decomposing multiple devices today means resetting the ML model for it, having the incorrectly conflated device disappear, and the individual devices recognized properly. So far Sense has the deleting part down, just not the re-learning part.:slight_smile:

So far Sense has the deleting part down

Chuckle

Being able to group appliances will be great. My gas dryer has learnt 3 unique parts and a 4th is now showing under device detention. My dishwasher has learnt 2.

I’ve had this same thought since about November. It would be great if we could create a “parent” device (i.e. Kitchen Refrigerator) and then have the ability to assign the various devices that Sense detects (i.e. compressor, defrost heat, ice maker heat, light bulb) to those.

Thanks for the feedback! We’re going to be working on a merging feature that will allow users to combine ‘parts’ of a known device into one.

Just curious, but will you also be using the grouping for device detection? For example I have 2 dryer parts. Dryer Part 1 is identified correctly 99% of the time. Dryer part 2 is about 50% of the time and is often confused with other heating elements. Should these be grouped, I would think ML can use that to determine if it’s a dryer or oven part… based on the other recently on items in the group.

Great question! It would definitely be factored into our device detection algorithms as an important data point. I’ll have more details in that respect when we’re a little further down the line in the feature’s development.

That’s great! I’d imagine this isn’t that difficult - a simple database change.

+1 for this idea. Sense has found multiple parts of both my air conditioning units - the two different fans, and the condenser pump. Although the items operate (somewhat) independently it would be good if I could group them into the two AC units, rather than six independent items.

yes, the ability to add its to a group is awesome. +1 here!

Hey @Craft211 - we do actually have the ability to merge devices in the app already if you haven’t found it yet.

In the latest version (V18) of the iOS or Android app:

• Navigate to the Device Details page for one of the items you’d like to group
  • Tap the gear icon in the top right corner to go into the ‘Device Settings’ page
  • Tap into the ‘Manage’ tab and select ‘Merge Device’

Does that help you out? Hope so!