How many installs, approximately?

How many Sense installs are there? This community board seems only slightly active, not many new posts each week. Inasmuch as the identification of devices depends so heavily on rapidly expanding the data base of devices, is Sense on a growth track to get there? Please share what you can that indicates Sense will overcome the daunting task of accurately identifying most of the significant energy uses in a home?

Thanks,

Cal

2 Likes

I visit this board daily. There are at least a dozen new posts a week. Maybe not new threads, but it is fairly active. The Facebook group is even more active. The subreddit is the least active.

I think what you are getting at isnt how active the community is, but how well is the company doing. Personally I think they are doing amazing. The product they are developing isn’t one that provides instant gratification, there needs to be time for learning. I’ve had various products over the years and nothing comes close to giving me a pulse of where my energy usage goes the way sense does (even if it isn’t perfect yet).

I’ve recommended sense to several friends. They looked at alternatives and most offered only the basic level of energy monitoring. Others required plugs everywhere. In the end we were unable to find a device that compares.

Sure I wish my sense detected devices more accurately and faster. Ive also been a bit frustrated at times. A reset in early June helped with most of my concerns. Heating devices now detect better and are less likely to be confused with other devices. Devices were detected much faster the second time.

Ive had sense since February and I feel that the development they have made since then is incredible and will likely only get better with time.

4 Likes

No, that is not what I’m getting at. I am given to understand that device detection requires immense data analysis of current use, on top of a large data base of signal patterns, use patterns, etc., to accurately identify the target device. If there are not many installs from which to draw the data base, device detection will be laborious, slow, inaccurate or just not occur. There are a very large number of devices to potentially identify (1000’s perhaps; of those with significant energy consumption, certainly fifty to a couple hundred?).

If I have misunderstood the basis of effective device identification with Sense, please let me know. I just hope the rate of growth in installs is tracking to produce the kind of data base success seems to hinge on.

Cal

Anecdotal evidence from various posts in the past indicate to me that there are in excess of 10,000 Senses installed in the wild.

Well, that seems a comforting number! I hope that is translating to a robust inventory of devices to begin to accelerate detections. Thanks for your reply. Cal

Between number of Senses installed increasing and the engineers constantly adding and refining device algorithms, one should expect an exponentially expanding body of devices detected.

Recent reports from the field (posts here), along with my own personal experience, point to this actually happening.

I have no confidence there are in the neighborhood of 10 thousand devices, more like 2 thousand. Given the number of issues with the Sense product and the corresponding small number of forum respondents there can’t be that many fully satisfied users.

1 Like

To me the rate of expansion of Sense deployment is the key thing. Is Sense doing significant marketing? Other than facebook, which is where I saw a spot, I haven’t run across Sense. I’ve raised this question not to throw stones, but being a practical realist I just want to know whether the significant challenge being undertaken by Sense is doable.

If sense would give us the ability to turn on and item and mark it I would again promote their product. And who am I. Just a home performance data geek that teaches and connected with maybe a 1000 people per year. So sad after 8 months and over half of my home is still unidentified and the few new items it finds I cannot find out what they are.

2 Likes

What does this have to do with the topic, again?

They would have more installes if the system worked because we would all be telling everyone how good it is

My Serial number ends at 000480. So 480 units? But that assumes the serial numbers are serial, and they didn’t change the serial numbers.

On the other hand, when I went to download the Sense app from Google Play Store, it said about 5k downloads. I downloaded twice for my 2 android devices. My wife downloaded from Apple store, but I didn’t catch the count there.

So somewhere between 500 and 10,000?

Brian

Ok, just to mess up your count… I now have two. S/N 631 and S/N 489. I don’t know if it means anything as #489 was the last delivered.

Received mine in Jan 17 and it was number 606…

I received mine in March, S/N ending in 334. S/N doesn’t look like it means anything in this regard.

BTW, the Apple App Store doesn’t show number of downloads (that I could find) so that doesn’t help either.

@davidferri, You are right the S/N doesn’t look helpful.

You have my number…334 which I received in December.

Well that doesn’t sound good. My full number is M703000334.

It’s all academic, but a while back I got an estimate by looking at my order number. Order numbers include both units and, when people wanted to add the solar clamps etc., ancillary items as well, so it’s not a wholly accurate estimate of units in the wild. I’d expect it to be somewhere around 90% of the most recent order number someone can come up with.

@NJHaley I knew it was your post I remembered about the 10,000 unit figure. From April 8:

Still curious about the repeated S/N though.

Serial is not repeated. Mine starts with M6