How to get real time amperage draw

I bought 2 sense for 400amp split to 2 mains. One in each panel. I want to monitor amp draw when generator kicks in. I need realtime amperage. I already know that I need two accounts until your app allows 2 sense monitors per a prior email with tech support before I went with your system.

2 Likes

@rpp, right now you can only monitor your consumption and production (wattage) in real time. Let us know if realtime amperage monitoring is something that you’d like to see added. We have a ‘Product Wishlist’ section just for things like that.

4 Likes

It would be nice to know the peak amps drawn against my service rating. I currently have 100amp service and am wondering if I should move up to 200amps but it is several thousand to do the upgrade. Maybe I don’t need it.

1 Like

Amp draw can easily be figured by wattage÷voltage=ampacity example 60 watt light bulb 60÷120=0.5 ruffley 1/2 an amp.

Or if you only knew the ampacity and voltage the wattage can be found as follows ampacity X voltage =wattage. Example 100 amp breaker at 240 volt = ? wattage (100 X 240=24,000) The answer is 24,000 watts

Good guidance. I have seen most sources also derate the max wattage by 80%, giving a safe max of 19,200 W for a 100A service.

@fiveleamington, look through your Power Meter history to see how many spikes exceed 19.2kW. A few of the course of the year is probably OK. More frequently than that and you should probably up your service.

It was more about having a reference available. It is simple math but it comes under a value add feature. Something like you have never exceeded more than 55% of your capacity”

2 Likes

@fiveleamington, you or the next owner of your home may need to upgrade… eventually. If you are close to having an issue now you almost certainly will once you have an electric vehicle to charge.

Would be a neat feature, Amp/Watt peak for day, week, month, year. The data is already there so it could be easily implemented.

1 Like