Integration for Home Automation

Thumbs up for me. I have a number of SmartThings outlets that actually measure the current. I’ve used them to validate Sense identifications.

2 Likes

Add me to the list as well. id love to see all the things i can do with better energy monitoring intigrated into my Smartthings system.

Thank you @BenAtSense, but SmartThings is the only true hub integration. If you integrate with Nest or Hue, for example, without a SmartThings integration, you will be leaving thousands of SmartHome users in the dark. Please keep this in consideration.

1 Like

I would appreciate a HomeKit integration, but that would probably require new and swanky hardware with a HomeKit security chip.

3 Likes

HomeKit security no longer requires any special hardware.

3 Likes

Thanks - all the more desire for HomeKit integration then !

2 Likes

You people buy way too much crap.
Forsake convenience. Consume less. Have a smaller, DumbHome™. Save the environment.
Sense has helped us get our electric bill to under $40/mo (and still improving).
Stop trying to keep up with the Joneses and buying so many silly, pointless toys.

2 Likes

Wink also a hub

1 Like

your opinion, but don’t call things ‘silly, pointless’ please

2 Likes

You’re right, @jeff. Allow me to rephrase: Stop buying so many wasteful, misguided gadgets.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/physics/dumb-ways-smart-devices-waste-energy

2 Likes

These articles seem a bit biased (tree hugger as an example, and the silly comment about the Jetsons). But fair point. I do see some people posting here with huge ‘always on’.

I’d suggest a hub using the quoted “9.6 watt/hours in the course of a day” in Treehugger article (it should be Wh, not watt/hours), controlling multiple devices, each of which uses much more than that, would still be - overall - an energy saver. There are some here stating Sense has paid for itself in a year, for example.

I specifically am looking into a device to control the water heater, and the energy use of the hub will be minuscule in comparison to the potential savings.
Estimate can save only 10% of monthly use of 255kWh or 25 kWh, while (shared usage for hub = 9.6 wH/day*30 days) = .288 kWh. I’d say that’s a pretty good trade-off.

2 Likes

Put me down for being system agnostic and simply having the API able to provide long standing HTTP connections so the home automation system can register and be made aware of device changes via notifications. I use HomeSeer.

3 Likes

I do wish to put stuff in my home. Am expecting Raspberry PI and Homebridge to help me with automation. Still have some problems with things that go Spike in the night. What I wish is to go off grid completely and live on my solar. Getting a Battery Backup behind my Solar array will help this the most but spikes will kill the battery.

Carol

1 Like

I’d like to put in a request for multiple lines of integration. For me it would be:
ISY (probably be an open HTTP API)
Home Bridge (Pi) / Home Kit

1 Like

For users of HomeAssisstant, I made a component that shows your current/daily usage:

Might also add per-device detection as HA triggers.

3 Likes

I’ll have to try this out. Very cool.

In general, I’d love to know what people would like to use home automation integrations for. That sort of detail really helps us in prioritizing bits of our product roadmap.

I think the thing that complicates the matter is the less than perfect detection sensitivity and specificity, @RyanAtSense. Any of the integrations I’d like to do would have to be specifically linked to production and usage values. I don’t think I’d rely on anything critical when detecting an appliance on/off for example.

Smart things hub!

Fair point! It is worth noting that most integrations wouldn’t just give Sense users a means to connect with other devices, but they’d also give us ground truth data. So, say we were connected with Homekit (not saying that’s coming, just being hypothetical), well then we could ascertain from Homekit that your Hue lights were on, or your Sonos was playing, and so on. Similarly, with ecobee or Nest, we would likely be able to identify when your HVAC system is running based on what your smart thermostat tells us. In those cases, you’d have pretty stable usage values to go on.

6 Likes

That’s a win for everyone involved, isn’t it.

• the Sense data science team gets better training data - the household dataset would now include on/off ground truth data for at least some of the major devices.
  • quicker, more accurate identification of those devices in the homes with smart home feedback.
  • presumably, quicker, more accurate identification of those devices For all Sense users.
3 Likes