Mystery increase in Always On — Solved!

The other day I noticed that my Always On figure had increased by about 120W, and for the life of me I couldn’t figure out why.

However, when I went down to the crawlspace for something, it was obvious: at some point, someone had left the crawlspace lights on! These lights are out-of-sight and out-of-mind, so I had no idea for a couple of days. They’ve also been a low priority for replacement, so we were using 2 x 60W incandescent and 1 x CFL bulbs.

I finally took the opportunity to replace these with LEDs, which are not only (much) more efficient, but also safer as they contain neither glass nor mercury. I accidentally broke an incandescent bulb down there once before, given the low ceiling, so another break is not out of the question.

So thanks, Sense, for helping me save power and pushing me to make long-delayed improvements to our home.

4 Likes

@michael.davie,
I had a similar thing happen. I have a pair of halogen bulbs on the side of my house that really can’t be seen anywhere from inside, and they are on a 3-way switch so you can’t tell on or off by switch position. My Always On was +240W for a couple day until I figured out the culprit…

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Glad Sense helped you track these down.