Name your devices properly

Not sure how critical this is in the year 2018… but #MachDrone has been noticing screenshots of users giving pet names or interesting names to devices… We may not be helping ourselves by doing this… but perhaps @BradAtSense can chime-in…

… … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … V heart V

2 Likes

I think that this is still relevant and standardized names can only help.

1 Like

A good point. A problem often seen in man-machine interfaces in mature systems, never mind cool shiny new stuff like this.

The usual solution is to have an input form that is part radio buttons or pick list of some sort plus an optional pre- or post- short free text field.

You want to propose a new device name - enter it in a field that gets moderated very quickly.

Also makes life very easy when introducing additional language support.

1 Like

@dave_n_s, you may have seen this and referring to the newer interface. It’s working pretty well.

1 Like

Indeed, that’s a good prompt to curb creativity, but the custom field at the bottom of the list is where I’d put a pick-list plus optional text and also do the same in the edit option.

You raise a good point as, in a way, the data is a community asset that helps everyone have a better experience.

Sense could allow the creativity to flourish without hurting the overall dataset quality by adding a Nickname field “this is what you will see in the app” that the Sense data analysis can cheerfully ignore

2 Likes

Thanks for calling this out @MachoDrone.

I add pet names under the “location” area, and try to keep the primary name as universal as possible with the hopes that it may be useful, but what’s most important is that it’s useful for you as an individual user, so if you’d prefer your bubble says “magical dish device”, go for it! It’s just likely that this response will end up an outlier.

What I hesitate to suggest is that if a majority of our customer base relabeled their dishwasher to be “magical dish device”, we could end up with that result getting promoted in the Community Names feature.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarity, @BradAtSense

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.