New: Network Device Identification

Also, a statement to the fact that “you will not be seeing networking devices found until we notify you the feature is being turned on, so don’t bother looking for it” would have saved hundreds (perhaps thousands) of wasted customer hours and frustration, not to mention all the e-mails.

It’s past time to start being up front and honest with all your co-developers, QA folks, and beta testers…e.g. your customers who have funded you for the privilege.

Regards,

Andy

1 Like

I’m with Andy on the issue of promotional promises!

1 Like

Hey @andy,

Completely agree with you! We should have been clearer communicating the benefits and expectations of Network Device Identification. That was part of the reason that I was brought on at Sense: to help better communicate what we’re working on and how it impacts your experience.

I hope that you’ve felt that the communication of features and fixes has been clearer in the past couple of months, and am definitely open to your feedback.

3 Likes

FYI I turned on the Network Device Identification as soon as it was available and so far it has detected nothing/nada/zip/zilch. I have lots of networked devices (5 TVs, 5 TIVOs, 3 tablets, 2 laptops, 2 blu-ray players, PV gateway, WII, X-Box, cable modem, NAS, router, and various switches/powerline adapters/MOCA adapters) to be detected. Any suggestions on how to improve the Network Device Identification results?

1 Like

Is there a list of devices that can be detected via NDI? My EVSE (“charger”) is WiFi enabled, so it seems like NDI would be an easy way to detect that (since it hasn’t been detected as an EV yet).

Hey Eric,

As I said in a post above

At the moment, enabling NDI will not immediately impact the devices your Sense detects. It is, however, giving our data science team incredibly useful data in order to train new detection models and thus improve detection around network connected devices in the future.

That being said, some of the first NDI models are right the corner. The first NDI models the community will see will likely be TVs and other more common devices, since we have more data on those.

3 Likes

I’d love to be able to run a remote network detection daemon on another device such as a Raspebrry Pi.

My Sense is installed on a 2.4Ghz network that is isolated for IoT devices that have cloud communications. This provides additional security and by using a unique SSID, my primary wireless network isn’t hampered by the need for 2.4Ghz devices like Sense.

I’d like to run network detection on my primary network to aid device identification. Bonus points for it being open source and thus auditable.

1 Like

Not exactly open source or a Raspberry Pi, but here’s piece of hardware that does what I think you’re asking for…

Only operates on a single subnet.

Oh, I well know what is on my network. :slight_smile:

Sense, however, doesn’'t get to see the traffic most of my devices generate, so it can’t use that in its device identification process.

Gotcha…

Thanks for this feature. It took only a few seconds of my time to enable it. I look forward to it helping improve device detection models down the road. I realize this stuff takes time, and I am made of patience. Cheers!

4 Likes

It identifies a Sony tv that I have on my network, but it would always show it as on even when it is note. I tried several times to report “the device isn’t on” but it continued to show it as on 24 hrs a day. I ended up deleting it

Hey Owen. Has it been re-identified? This happened to another user too and seems to be a bug. If the TV has been re-found, you should definitely submit a Support ticket via support@sense.com and they can help get it sorted.

1 Like

It has not be refound… is there a way to undo that?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.