Solar customers: Recognizing the "Daytime dip" and how it might impact your Sense numbers

Edited for clarity.

I have the daytime dip, and after comparing on a cloudless day the solar production meter (0.2% accurate) to the Solar generation values of the panels, and to the solar values shown by Sense, I believe that the solar values are accurate (well within 2.81% in my case over the entire day).

This implies the daytime dip is strictly the consumption values, and the consumption values are proportionally lowered by some factor as solar values increase over the day.

I don’t see a dip on my system. If this is a calibration issue and being addressed in the SW should not every solar client see the dip?
I don’t believe I have seen a good explanation of what causes the dip and how it is to be corrected!

You’ve got a very strange case, Ira, and I bet we could figure out how to fix it with some trial and error based on your findings. I just wish the sense team made this a higher priority, because it’s really the only thing keeping me from recommending it to friends and family. @Stuart is right - 5mos for solving a baseline functionality problem is way to too long.

[quote=“NJHaley, post:43, topic:403”]
You’ve got a very strange case, Ira, and I bet we could figure out how to fix it with some trial and error based on your findings.[/quote]

Are you referring to my previous post here (which I edited for clarity), which is the same as the typical daytime dip you and others have? The Nighttime dip I had disappeared after the last system reset of my Sense.

Yep, and the ct open/close phenomenon causing it to switch… If that’s still what you attribute it to :slight_smile:

Then your solar sensors calibrated correctly, and you don’t have a problem.

Very sorry it has taken as long as it has!

Update: the infrastructure to apply the correction factors was released with the last firmware update and the calibration fixes are being applied now. Affected monitors should notice a difference by the end of the weekend!

2 Likes

@BenAtSense

Over the past two days, both my production and usage have been within <1% of my meter. I’d call that “mission accomplished” :slight_smile:

I hope everyone else in the thread has had similar luck!

1 Like

So happy to hear that @NJHaley!

The fix should be completely rolled out now so if you experienced this issue before, check your Sense data and let us know things are looking now.

I can definitely tell that the daytime solar dip has resolved - and my always on usage now seems correct instead of abnormally low during the day.

However, there is still roughly a 5% difference between the daily production as reported by the Sense app, compared to what is reported by my inverter. Is this to be expected? I’m not sure how to compare directly to the net meter as that just reports delivered and received net, not specific solar production.

Curious to hear other’s experiences and what I should be expecting on these reports…

Also - I had some wacky behavior with device recognition relating to enabling my solar system (I had Sense installed before my solar was live). I still have some old devices and ones that are not seemingly recognized correctly anymore - not that this solar fix has been applied should I delete those old devices?

Thanks!

Mine is somewhere between 3-4% off from my (solaredge) inverter, but my bills aren’t based on my inverter :slight_smile: I can only assume there is perhaps a calibration issue with the inverter combined with some percentage loss between inverter and panel - one of the reasons I couldn’t wait to ditch the inverter app.

So I take it you have just one meter, on your main panel? It’s reporting how much you use and how much you return to the grid, correct? I’ll have to think about the math there, but you should be able to see if Sense is on track.

Energy Received (meter) = 24hr usage (12:00am - 11:59pm) - Solar usage (unknown). Sense will give you your 24hr usage under the bar graph tab of usage. We’re going to calculate energy received in a sec.

Solar usage = Solar production - Solar Delivered (meter). Sense will give you 24hr solar production in that same tab and you have your solar delivered value from your meter.

Now, when you take Sense’s values for 24hr production and 24hr usage, then subtract the meter reported Delivered, you should get the exact meter value for Received. If there was still a Sense error, there should be a pretty significant difference there - 3+% or so. Does the math sound right?

My opinion on devices lost and found - if I have something I knew was regularly (or at least irregularly) reporting and it has been a full month since any movement, I delete it. I have something that was reported as a stove last month that did this - it seemed to be a confused signal of the stove top element(s) and the oven. After three weeks of no reporting, I deleted it.

My experience is that the SolarCity reading is about 3-5% greater than the Sense measurement, except in the sunrise and sunset hours. Below a typical day’s production compared hour by hour. Which one is the most accurate ? Based on comparisons using data from a revenue-grade net meter, netting the Sense numbers (both usage and solar production) matches up almost exactly with my meter while netting the SolarEdge production data from the Sense total usage produces much larger errors. I think @NJHaley has an even more direct measurement since he has a revenue grade meter tied directly to his solar system. Think he also saw the solar inverter reading 3-5% greater than the meter measurement.

1 Like

Yes does sound right. I will try and report back!

So how about some feedback @BenAtSense as to what the fix actually fixed. Put another way, what was being done wrong and what was adjusted to correct the situation. Thanks.

Hey Howard, I can’t go into too much detail but I can say it was a calibration error that had to do with how the solar sensors were calibrated in the factory. We’ve since fixed the factory calibration issue and the fix we issued a few days ago corrected the sensors in the field. This calibration error was up to a few % points, but varied by monitor.

So I ran the numbers and seems as if Sense is the accurate report, not my solar inverter:

For a 24 hour period (midnight to midnight) my meter reports 14 Kwh delivered to the house, and 41 Kwh received from the panels, for a net energy received of 27Kwh

For the exact same time period Sense reports 62Kwh production, and 34 Kwh usage, for a net energy production of 28Kwh. (My inverter app reports 65.03 Kwh production - which is overestimating production by about 5% consistently each day).

Because I’m a geek, I will check again in a week or so to get 7 days to data to see if the difference narrows with more time…

I think this is close enough to be happy - especially since both Sense and my meter report only whole numbers, no decimals.

2 Likes

Excellent! You can get 1st decimal info from senses by physically adding bars over time, but it takes some effort :slight_smile:

Checked again today, after 48 +15 hours and the net energy delivered according to the meter and Sense app were exactly the same, at 70KWh. I love it! I feel comfortable now trusting my usage and production numbers in a Sense.

3 Likes