Solar sense question

I have solar (grid tie-in), but understood that I wouldn’t benefit from sense solar because mine tie in at the pole rather than at the breaker box. Is this true? I’m beyond frustration with the monitor provided by the solar installation company.

If so, are there plans for sense to monitor this type of system in the future or is it beyond the scope?

Do you have a picture of your panel? From the sounds of it, you have power coming in from your pole. At the pole, your solar and utility lines meet, so your power coming in is a mix of solar and utility. Some of the solar goes back on the grid.

If that’s the case, it doesn’t seem like you’d have a place to put your solar leads…unless you have an inverter very close to your utility box. If you know where your inverter lines going out are, you might be able to hook a set of CTs on them - the solar ones are about 3’ long.

My solar ties in at the bottom of my net meter, so I had to open up my meter box to install the CTs. I’m expecting some tongue lashing from my utility when they find it, but with smart meters all around, I hope they never come out!

Do you have a picture of your panel? From the sounds of it, you have power coming in from your pole. At the pole, your solar and utility lines meet, so your power coming in is a mix of solar and utility. Some of the solar goes back on the grid.

Yes, this is how I’m set up.

the inverter is about 250ft from the pole where the utility box is, which is another probably 50ft from the breaker box, inside.

I’ll get a picture tonight.

It may be worthwhile to me to get a separate solar monitoring system and just compare them manually. … thoughts?

Well that’s too bad. I haven’t looked in a while, but maybe there’s a cheaper option to harvest that solar data? Our inverter has an online system, but it only reads every 15min.

You may have trouble with it being so far away from your WiFi signal, though?

That’s exactly what I’m thinking, but I’m not finding the basic solution I thought I could find. I have a monitor that came with my inverter, but it sucks. LOL. … Since I already have Sense, I just need a solar monitor and most of them want to come in packages. I’d love to hear peoples thoughts and recommendations for solar monitoring packages I can look at.