Stalled Device Learning - Add Ability to "Train" Sense

@1agkirk2, yes! Our data science team is able to see names that users attach to models and use that information as they improve the device detection models.

1 Like

Lets see. Train device. Turn on a device. Mark it in Sense. Maybe do it 2 or 3 on off and mark. I could mark nearly 100% of everything in my home in less than 4 hours.

Hide and seek. I have given up spending time trying to find what sense says it has found. Iā€™ve spent many more than 4 hours at this and cannot figure out a number of the devices sense says it has found. And there are many many many it has not discovered un the 7 months it has been looking.

Please advise

I think your device section would be a lot more useful if it came with a database of devices with brands and model numbers. As far as I could see itā€™s all plain text and it wonā€™t be very useful data in the future, no matter how much cleaning youā€™re going to do youā€™re still ending up with garbage data (trust me, I know what Iā€™m talking aboutā€¦ faced the same problem in a different context).

When I was typing ā€œKenmoreā€ I was expecting the autocomplete suggestion to show up after the third character, I was surprised it didnā€™t.

3 Likes

I imagine this will come with maturity of the product, importantly someone tasked with setting it up.

Hey Luca,

Thatā€™s a great suggestion. We just added the ability to add model information to a device (Whatā€™s New in iOS v1.12.0, Android v1.9.0) and will definitely keep that in mind as we look at the model numbers being input.

I have quit recommending Sense. After 7 months many of the items consuming electricity are still a mistery. Hode and seek when i was a child was fun. But not anymore. Let me turn on the device and mark it.

Very dissapointing product.

I feel your pain. I have had one new add in the past several months. My dehumidifier has been running since the beginning of June and has yet to be detected. It runs 610 watts while on and cycles through probably 20 times a day. Not sure where the hell sense is during all of this activity. My next up is showing a water heater but it is gas without any electrical connection. Not sure what they are tracking. While I am at it, the the coffee pot runs every day and this week it was only tracked four times. How can that be? This appears to be a very unstable product. This is my assessment after eight months of using the product. I have 15 products listed but several are the same device listed as multiple inputs (i.e. multiple heating elements dryer/dishwasher). I am still wondering why my always on continues to grow from 350 watts to 516 watts with no know changes.

1 Like

I agree with your assessment and I too will not admit that I own the product and will not recommend it to my friends.

Great concept. The actual product not so good.

Just let us mark the deviceses in our own homes.

Thanks

Andy Wahl
AC Home Performance, Inc.
Zehnder America
925-890-5175
achpinc@gmail.com

Hey Andy,

Unfortunately, this kind of manual labeling doesnā€™t work well. Sense needs to see devices operate in their usual cycles in the context of the home, in order to be able to accurately detect the device.

The most effective ways to help with detection is to rename and recategorize mystery devices, as well as to add make/models to your device details, and use the ā€˜device is not onā€™ feature when devices incorrectly appear as on. These kinds of inputs are used to refine our detection algorithms.

Ben.

With all due respect it is obvious sense cannot find many if the common devises in my house after >7 months.

You are welcome to send a tech to my home and show me how to find the mystery items.

Thanks

Andy Wahl
AC Home Performance, Inc.
Zehnder America
925-890-5175
achpinc@gmail.com

Hey Andy,

Iā€™m sorry to hear that device detection hasnā€™t met your expectations. Weā€™re working hard to improve to improve our detection algorithms. Unfortunately, this kind of manual labeling wouldnā€™t help much. We will keep developing other features that use user input to improve detection however.

Is there any news on the ability to list our major appliances during set up in order to give the algorithms a head start?

Definitely still on our radar! Weā€™re currently looking at the fall as a timeline for that functionality.

1 Like

Iā€™ve used ā€œDevice not onā€ for the same set of lights at least 20 times over the last month I bet. At what point will this finally be learned? My back yard lights are confused as my vanity lights but I have no option to say ā€œThis is the wrong device, hereā€™s what it really isā€ā€¦ instead I just keep saying ā€œnot onā€ over and over which is demoralising

@phillijw, sorry you find it demoralizing! When you use the ā€˜device is not onā€™ feature, that data is collected and used by our data science team to improve algorithms around detection of that device. Unfortunately itā€™s not something immediate. Rather it just provides our data science team with data points with which to help inform improvements.

Iā€™m becoming disappointed with my Sense box. Multiple devices are starting to turn on and the Sense box thinks they are all the same device. If it was just one device I donā€™t like it but could live with that. The problem is Iā€™m seeing more than one identified device name showing up on multiple devices turning on. If this keeps up the Sense box may be useless for identifying devices. I guess total power use will be correct but not for each device since they are not identified correctly.

Hey rex,

Iā€™m sorry to hear that! Iā€™d reach out to our technical support team about this so they can take a deeper look at the data: https://help.sense.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

Ben several points on the above discussions:

1. Your ā€œearly adopterā€ user base is unhappy and frustrated
  2. Sense seems to be more interested in ā€œimproving the algorithmā€ than identifying devices
  3. You (specifically) tell us to contact the tech guys. They contact us once and then go silentā€¦or say ā€œwe are working on thatā€. They are not helpful.
  4. Your latest new thing is a website??? The world is going mobileā€¦you started with the correct channel to your customersā€¦the app
  5. Recommendation: FIX device detection and identification before you do anything elseā€¦PLEASE

To defend Ben a bit, the early adopter base that Iā€™ve been a part of, has been asking for a web app for almost as long as this forum has been around. It is the first step in eventually giving us the ability to export data out of the application so we can work with it on our own. Also, I see many examples of people wanting to keep an eye on their home energy use in real time at all times. A web application gives this ability. It can be a tab on a work computer, a home smart TV with web browser, etc without tying up your phone.

2 Likes