Stalled Device Learning - Add Ability to "Train" Sense

Fair enough. I’ve been an owner since Dec ‘16. It’s not on my list of
priorities but I respect that others want it. That said, I HAVE been doing
everything asked of me to help Sense help find devices (BMW i3, Heat Pump,
Hot springs portable spa, Maytag washer and dryer, etc). So far no joy. I
am happy with the solar data…but 12 months after install only 40%
identified. I’ll finish by saying that isn’t good enough. I wish the team
well but I’m rather frustrated because I really DO want this to work.

Totally disagree, and while I am a heavy user (and developer) of mobile apps, web apps offer far better opportunities to provide great user experience. Even better are “fat client” applications, but today’s web environments come pretty close.
The problem of course is that each is different (particularly in the Android space), and requires a major investment on the part of Sense. And their machine learning clearly needs massive/improvement. Web applications are FAR more portable.
BTW, I am approaching my first year, and the “non-sense”… or “none-sense” ((-:wink: device still has only identified 12 devices out of our 57 in our totally electric home, and more than half of them don’t regularly show up, regardless of how how often they are actually running.
I also work in the data analysis world. If I had this to do over again, I would ignore the hype from This Old House and run, not walk, away from this dog. Totally a waste of time and money. Andy

I totally agree with the decision to deliver a web app. It’s orders of magnitude easier to deliver a great user experience on the web than in the chaos of mobile app api/gui.
Also, for many of the Sense customer base, we are on line most of every day, and while we also use mobile apps, that’s a distant second. Andy

Hey @mstraka606,

I’m sorry you’re feeling frustrated. To be clear, ‘improving algorithms’ is just a way of saying improving device detection and our data science team has been working hard at that. There have been some big improvements over the past year and there will be more to come.

I also want to mention that app improvements and detection improvements aren’t mutually exclusive. That is to say, just because you see additional features coming to the app or a new web app, doesn’t mean that we aren’t focused on improving device detection!

1 Like