We moved into our new home last summer and I’ve since noticed that our electricity bills have been very high. Our average consumption is around 1,800 kWh over the past 10 months!
Some background. The home is a bit over 5,000 sf, is around 50 years old, and has been renovated several times over the years. There are two subpanels, a fourth panel hidden in a closet that I just noticed was active tonight and hooked to gadgetry that looks like it’s from the cold war, a 47 kW generator, a PowerwoRx e3 (look it up, it’s suppose to reduce power consumption on certain types of loads), a Venmar HEPA ERV, and a few other odds and ends. Suffice it to say, it’s not going to be a case where I swap out a few incandescent bulbs and the problem is solved.
I received my Sense two nights ago and installed it myself on the main breaker. It took about 10 minutes to install, and I assumed it would be a long wait to start seeing individual devices. As of tonight, though, it’s already discovered a dehumidifier (which it thought was an AC unit), the engine block heater for the generator (which it simply called Heat 1), a garage door opener, an Always On load, and an Other load. I’m very impressed so far with what it’s found, and will share more details in the coming weeks. So far, so good on the install and initial impressions.