We should be able to TRAIN this!

I’ll just add my 2¢. After 1 year I feel like I’ve gotten 60% of an energy monitor (40% is unknown). Clear, big, predictable loads (‘17 BMW i3, portable Hot Tub heater, etc) have not been found (nor have many smaller known-to-me devices) despite numerous interactions with the “technical” folks. Promises. I’ve made several suggestions etc with “thanks…working on that” responses. Many, many posts focus on that singular issue…poor detection. We all fit into 1 of 2 categories: 1) happy with % detected and what richer features or 2) better detection regardless of how we get it and specifically not willing to wait another year for more of the same”. I won’t send it back and ask for a refund because 60% is ok. Just don’t expect me to be patient any longer or to offer good reviews when I’m asked.

3 Likes

Well said. I’m in the same camp!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @mstraka606. I’m sorry to hear that you have 40% unknown. Unfortunately it takes some time to collect enough data and develop algorithms for some devices. The team is working hard to expand detection coverage across more and more devices. That’s not to say that you should review a certain way, but just to say that we hear you, understand the frustration, and are working to get everyone’s % unknown down.

2 Likes

Ben …you know what would help speed this process ?..allow your user base to train Sense via known devices.

I don’t know if this has been suggested. I understand what’s being said about identification, , there is also the thought that users could mis-identify a device and skew results rather than helping.

What if users could access a list of devices that sense has a good handle on and click off a list of devices that they have. It could give sense a lean on that direction and ID known devices more quickly.

My main frustration, and from my reading many people feel the same, is the waiting . LOL.

For example, I have two heat pumps, upstairs and downstairs. it ID’d one weeks ago, but not the other and I wonder why. They run basically at the same time and it seems like the signatures would be similar. If I could tell sense, yes, I have two similar devices, would it go ahead and pick up the second one.?

3 Likes

@brian1, here’s what I suggest responded on the subject in another topic:

2 Likes

@becky, we do have something similar to what you mentioned planned :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

Just updating…Sense found (again) my old, removed garage door opener; not the new one I installed 2 months ago. I opened it via the LiftMaster app and noticed it wasn’t the correct device. I deleted it (again). This is the third time. When deleting a device you should delete the data it associated to be found too. Anyway…one more request for IoT learning/connectivity. This would be sooo easy to identify loads…

Sorry that your old garage door opener is being re-detected! This is an area of improvement on our radar.

In terms of additional IoT integrations and network detection-based detectors, they’re definitely something we have planned.

1 Like

Another example… My Sense has been running for about 8 weeks.

I charge my Tesla Model S just about every night at 12:00 a.m. I understand that Sense “knows” the Model S signature; but mine hasn’t been detected yet at my house, even though my Sense has been installed for about 8 weeks. I wish I could help it along my manually defining it.

1 Like

In 2 weeks I will have had my Sense for 1 year. 47.1% Unknown Devices, 38.1% Always On. 5.1% is for Refrigerators which cant be identified… so when you add it all up thats 90.3% of UNKNOWN stuff.

The remaining 9.7% is reasonably accurate but I dont spend the time anymore to correct the coffee pot from the waffle maker and such.

If my two forced air heaters would be detected I am sure the percentages would change substantially but this is the second heating season and they must cycle on and off 100 times a day but they have not been identified.

I have no lights, no garage doors ect.

I will also note that all of these comments for training have been mentioned by numerous other owners going back a year. Its very frustrating every new user has the same comments and we always get the same answer.

1 Like

I am a new sense user. Just installed it 2 days ago without issue. I am (and will continue to be) patient. To a point. In 2-4 weeks i would hope to see some accurate discoveries.

I agree with the rest. We should be able to train the sense based on our own usage. Walk around the house turn on a device, see it on the power meter, label it. I would be very surprised if SENSE can discover my Buderus modulating condensing boiler which provides my heat to 3 zones and domestic hot water all of which have cirulators. The boiler modulates its output based on outside temperature (outdoor reset) and even further modulates as it approaches the thermostat or DHW set point.

I understand that because this data is used by sense engineers to create “signatures” for the devices and for the betterment of the community, you wouldn’t want every user sending their specific unique data to you. But how about a choice? Implement the feature, and put a check box in the feature that says something to the effect of: “This is my unique device signature for a (fill in the blank/detailed description). I am notifying SENSE data engineers that it is unique to my installation and may or may not be of value to them.”

This would let your engineers know right off that there was human intervention in the acquisition of the device rather than being automatically discovered, and they can assign an appropriate “weight or value” to it and choose whether to use it or ignore it. This way the end user (me) has a far more accurate and intuitive device, in a much shorter time-frame.

Thank you.

1 Like

I am a new user, only had it for a few days but I am loving it. I knew going into this that sense was going to take a while to pick up stuff and I am somewhat OK with that.

My 2 cents for this is this: How about allowing us to highlight on the usage graph and giving that a Priority for Sense to find what it is.

Say I know when my AC kicks on and off, I would highlight that whole event then click that highlight to give it a Priority 1 so that Sense would know to “find” that quicker.

2 Likes

Here’s a little insight into the kind of analysis and math that makes Sense work. The real trick for Sense is being to operate without a “ground truth” measurement.

https://ac.els-cdn.com/S1877050917302417/1-s2.0-S1877050917302417-main.pdf?_tid=0e1abf26-1138-11e8-9764-00000aacb362&acdnat=1518579488_621831161cbabc3fe4469da114a9fdfd

2 Likes

Wow, I’ve had my Sense for a little over a week and this is very disheartening to read… :frowning:

1 Like

Sorry. 2 months later and nothing has changed. I could have said the same comments a year ago. Very little progress for my home.

Sense did just find “LIGHT 1” 2 days ago. I was optimistic that this would be the start of some new device identification. Sadly when I check the stats even though the device was just recently discovered it has been “off” for over 3 months with zero energy usage. This is very puzzling.

Also, I was really hoping that after 2 winters Sense would have identified either of my central heating units but it did not. They are very high (1000+ watt) devices that cycle on many times a day. It is now 75 degrees outside so it looks like I will need to wait until next year.

Sorry, but after over a year I just refer to mine as NONSense or NOSense. I has not done anything much and picks up little. Totally frustrating and nothing near what I anticipated or expected.

2 Likes

i’ve wondered if the devices that seem obvious to us that Sense isn’t picking up - could those have power fluctuations or other issues that keep the signal from being stable enough to be identified? or in the case of some people who have very little detection overall could there be a device on their system that’s so erratic that it confuses everything? i don’t have any machine language training or anything like that - just guessing from a layperson’s pov. my well pump seems clear as day to me from the first hour i plugged sense it, but while it’s identified minutia and components of many devices around the house, it hasn’t tagged the well pump, which I suspect could have issues. - also, it has id’d on hvac but not the other… a system i’ve had issues with since it was installed.

I would like to be able to “Train” Sense as well. But I am not confident it would be capable of reliably recognizing actual usage. My case in-point: My Sense learns/detects my Electric Vehicle, but then doesn’t reliably recognize actual usage/charging… despite a very distinct visual signature

UPDATE!!
Still the same, some things found early on are no longer detected.
Pool pump NEVER detected. Cannot detect the heat pumps like last year.
Sucks, its a bust!!