Web portal for reporting?

Is there any plan to have a website portal that would allow for better reporting and information? I would be great to be able to log in to a portal and manage and report on the data. Nice to be able to pull a report to compare with the electric bill.

I second, third, and fourth this! I’d love to be able to export the data and take a look at it in excel. This would be especially helpful for situations in which I have multiple devices for one appliance (dishwasher, washing machine, etc). I can then create my own column and merge them in excel and trend over time.

Same here, I have a Solar PV system and have access to the SolarEdge web site that gives me data on the power production on a 15 minute interval and my grid provider that gives me 30 minute power consumption data. I have noticed that the data coming from the Sense power generation and use seems to differ from both of the other sources and it would be very useful to be able to compare data to find out were the discrepancies are.

I am planning a system upgrade, adding a battery backup system and it sure would be helpful to get detailed data on individual unit power consumption of battery calculations on critical systems.

See here: Solar customers: Recognizing the "Daytime dip" and how it might impact your Sense numbers

Some users have reported the inverse - a “daytime hump,” while I’ve only seen one or two whose numbers have been correct.

It’s gotten buried it’s so old now, but the problem still has not been fixed. Your goals are the same as mine were when I purchased months ago, it’s a shame this very basic function hasn’t been corrected.

I have gone through the Sense power production/consumption plots looking for the daytime dip that you have described and pictured. I don’t see it anywhere on my plots. Is it possible that the Sense induction pickups are placed in such a way that they are interfering with each other? Could the solar power pickups be reverse phased with the power consumption pickups. In my case they only separated by a few inches due to the restricted size of the main panel where the imput from the SolarEdge inverter taps connect the mains coming from the transfer switch, I have a whole house backup generator and the transfer switch sits between the power meter and my main power panel.

@NJHaley, @mtgarin
Have you compared day or month level solar output results for Sense vs. your inverter tracking ? I was originally suspicious of my Sense results because they were consistently 4-6% lower than what my inverter reported (via SolarCIty PowerGuide). But as I look more closely and compare against my electric meter (via Rainforest Eagle), the Sense net results (total usage minus solar) are spot on with my electric meter, which for better or worse has to be viewed as the golden measure. I’m beginning to think that my inverter is the guilty party, providing erroneously high production results (4-7%), either because:

• It is showing apparent power without compensating for the phase relationships between current and voltage (many of the devices that are regularly running in my home could result in a power factor that is less than 1)
  • the inverter is just not that accurate - the GM for SolarEdge North America admitted as much in an article back in 2015:
    "Inverters do measure the AC production from a PV system and usually display this information on screens, but Mathews said these measurements are typically only +/-5% accurate. This is where (new) revenue-grade sub-metering systems can help."
    http://www.solarpowerworldonline.com/2015/11/solar-moves-toward-embedding-meters-inverters/

Would be interested in whether you are seeing the daily/monthly inverter data that is consistently 5% different (either greater or less) than Sense results. If so, the inverter might be the guilty party rather than the Sense.

My data was from twice daily meter readings collected over two weeks.

I have some real time data from the solaredge inverter, as well, and I agree it’s 3% over what the meter reads. Sense is 3+% below, and only during daylight hours, meaning it’s something that could certainly be fixed. This has been discussed ad nauseum and demonstrated about a dozen different ways.

It would probably help troubleshoot to see a good picture of your electrical panel as well as a screenshot of your usage graph covering a 24hr period :slight_smile:

As you can see, my television is so efficient today it’s using zero power as I type this :wink:

I only have one months worth of data, the dailies are not granular enough, solaredge goes to 3 decimal places and Sense is rounded to whole numbers. I have had the Sense since mid March and so April is the only full month. Sense reports 546 KWh and SolarEdge reports 574.67 KWh, which is about 5% lower than the SolarEdge so I guess that is it,

My Sense numbers were consistently below the SolarEdge numbers by about 5%, both at the daily and monthly level, over the past 3 1/2 months that I have had the Sense installed. And as I said earlier, the Sense numbers are pretty much spot on with my electric meter net usage (only 2 months dat wi the the Rainforest Eagle) - Netting the Sense total usage numbers minus SolarEdge numbers gives a much greater error when compared to my “golden” NEMS electric meter results.

I don’t see the solar dip AFAIK…

@NJHaley, Thanks !
My net meter only outputs net usage readings so I don’t get to see it’s thoughts on solar production for that comparison - I’m assuming your electric meter outputs both net power and total power (or solar production) as the reference for assessing the SolarEdge 3% overage and the Sense 3+% underage ?

I’ve actually got two meters I had to track - one for solar production, and the main one which tracks power from the grid and power out to the grid. So I can figure out production from the solar meter, how much I’ve sent to the grid from the main, and usage by adding power in from grid and (production - sent to grid).

So after dark, the only power is from the grid - and that’s spot on. During the day things are thrown off by Sense’s determination of production. The main cts are accurately measuring in-and-out, though because production is measuring low, measured use is low (often zero or negative).

I knew very quickly after our solar panel install that the inverter was over reporting by 3% or so, it’s one of the reasons I bought sense - for more accurate readings (and to ditch the zigbee connection). Sadly, Sense is also plagued with errors :frowning:

I spend way too much time looking at this data :slight_smile: I was a little apprehensive about whether we’d recover our solar investment. We’d be OK if Aps would lay off the metering changes…

Thanks for sharing your setup and experiences. I wish there was a website that could consolidate all the data from all the different cloud data feeds (Sense, Eagle/power company, SolarEdeg/SolarCity) and line up sampling (align to billing cycle or calendar months). But steady progress on the detection side is really my number one wish !

ps: Sense just detected one of my AC units yesterday (we had a 2day hot spell this past week). It may be a few weeks before I get to see whether it really was a correct detection…

Web Reporting is very important im using the device a a customers location to idenify electrical issues at that location

i need reporting to show the Board that there is an issue

How soon can we get this feature this is holding me up from deploying more sences to other clients

that have electrical issues

Thank you

Export to Excel from a web site would make comparisons between my electric company data and Sense a whole lot easier!

Ditto this request for an export to CSV or Excel. I have a lot of historical data about my monthly power usage and would like to continue that with real data from Sense.

Further, my utility billing cycle is not aligned to the beginning of the month, it varies by a day or two each month. I would want to export the data for a chosen date range, or have it listed in daily usage/production, and then be be able to add up the days.

With all the cool features of Sense, I didn’t even think to check before buying that this might not have an export feature! Analytical junkies have got to be the target market for this device, and they’re definitely going to want to do different things with this data!

Thanks for the suggestion everyone. While we don’t have a specific timeline for it at this point, it is definitely something we are looking at doing!