Will Sense learn my TV’s?

My microwave is plugged into a surge protector and it sees that ok. Also, my hair dryer is plugged into one of those brick type surge protectors that cover the outlet and has three outlets and 2 USB charging ports, and it sees that too. And it was discovered before I started using the surge protector.

1 Like

@Mcraeh

Thank you. Now that I think about it, my fridge and microwave are plugged into these outlets - and they were picked up just fine!

1 Like

I’m reading mostly Samsung TVs detected. Has anyone picked up another brand?

Have Sense for 2 month and just picked up a Samsung TV. Even grabbed the model number.

1 Like

Awesome! An illustration of NDI at work.

Nothing yet on my Sony :sob:

@Bubuski. Is it plugged in or on wireless? My Samsung’s were found quickly after I plugged in the network cable.

I have a LG OLED B7 and it’s not found it yet.

I have one Smart Sony, two old dumb Sony’s and a dumb Samsung.
It has only found the smart Sony(Ethernet and WIFI. It detects them as different devices because they have different MAC addresses on each network).

NDI requires an Ethernet (or wifi) connection and that the device supports NDI.

All 4 of my SmartTV’s (2-Samsung, 2-Sony) are connected either via WiFi or hardwired. To date, only one Samsung (hard-wire) has been detected. Neither of the Sony, both of which are Android TV and hard-wired connection has been discovered yet and at least one of those is the most used TV in the house. The only one that’s been discovered is the only one that is not plugged into a UPS. I have no proof, but it seems that the UPS being a buffer in between seems to be a barrier to the TV being found.

Yes, my Sony TV is plugged in with Ethernet to access YouTube, Netflix and Spotify.

My TCL TV which is Wifi connected was detected, down to the model number. Sense is on an extender, while the TV is on the main 5GHz router.

A newer 2017 Samsung Q7F series QLED smart TV, on the other hand, hasn’t been detected yet. This one is “hard wired” to the router. It is always ran with an Onkyo AV receiver with a powered sub-woofer and several speakers, which, together with the AT&T Uverse DVR, hasn’t been detected, either.

To the OP, if you have a plasma TV the answer is no.

We have one of those Samsung TV’s, same kind, that is hard wired. Ours was detected, but it took a few weeks.

1 Like

I had an LG TV detect from NDI when on wireless very shortly after initially enabling NDI and it was great. About 3 months ago I finally got it hardwired instead. I know we’re talking about a different mac address now, but Sense neither reads any activity on the original detected device, nor has it picked it back up since hardwiring :frowning:

I’ve played with a low power setting to no avail- thinking it was reasonable that it would cut power to wireless radio when in standby, but maybe ethernet port would stay powered for wol, I put it into the ‘more energy conserving’ low power mode.

I’m hoping with further development in NDI on Sense’s side it may come back again someday.

Hmm, this answers the question I was looking for: My Vizio TV isn’t detected, likely because it is hard-wired, not using WiFi. It would really be nice if hardwired devices could be detected too !

2 Likes

I also have a Vizio TV and I think it’s gonna be difficult to detect it. I have my TV and a few other electronics plugged in to an HS300 so I’m getting some good data from it for sense and just to give you an idea here are some screenshots of my TV’s power. Again I want to add that I only have it detected because it’s on a smart plug.

2 Likes

I sort of doubt that hard wired vs ethernet makes a difference as far as requirements for Sense to see a TV. Broadcast data is broadcast data. Meaning, I don’t think that Sense will only detect TV’s on Wifi or vis a versa. But it will be effected by the properties of your home network. So in your case changing to Wifi may make a difference.

Once you start bridging networks (LAN to Wifi as in an AP) that broadcast data can start being treated differently. So in @chris1’s case, maybe the AP is doing some filtering, so the data wasn’t making it across the AP while the TV was hardwired, but once the TV was on the same AP as the Sense, they were able to see each other.

In @russ’s case, it could be that the Mac address change threw everything off. Looking at a post from a while back, it does seem that it might be a combination of network data AND power that lets the sense feel good about ID’ing a TV.

Then as mentioned in the post above, the TV has to be doing the right things while “off” for this all to work. So different models and manufactures and software versions are all going to come into play.

All of this is to say that moving a TV to wifi may make it detectable in a specific persons environment, but I don’t think that WiFi vs Ethernet is a limitation on the Sense side, it just may be a limitation on each persons specific home network with their specific TV types.

I have two different Smart Sony TV’s. One on ethernet. One on Wifi. Both allow WOL and remote control via Alexa, so I know they are listening all the time, but neither has ever been picked up by Sense.
I did add some HS110’s to the TV’s and tied them to my Nest “Home” or “Away” status as I found that the TV’s were drawing around 15w constantly, and once an hour would go to about 80w for a minute or two while they did some checks. So now I power them off completely when Nets sets the home to Away.

1 Like

I just wanted to add my experience with Sense and my new Samsung TV.

Bought and set up a new 2019 Samsung 50" tv on May 27. It gets used prob 2-3hrs a day minimum, and I connected it to my WiFi when I set it up. Sense finally detected it on July 6, but it did have (unusual & erratic) usage before July 6.

Better than nothing; my 2006 Panasonic 37" Plasma was never detected.

1 Like

Similar response to others here - Sense found my Samsung within a few weeks and identified it by model number. My Sony TV still wasn’t found in almost a year. Ironically the Sony was the one I wish it had found - the Samsung is very good about power management (~.1W in standby). I plugged the Sony into a Kasa strip and discovered it pulled ~20W while in standby. I had to turn off network features completely to get it to go into a standby mode that consumes less than 1W. Both TVs have the same inputs and settings (4K HDR Fire boxes). But it wasn’t until I plugged in the Kasa strip that I actually gained the kind of actionable insight that makes Sense so useful.