RESOLVED: 1/10 Second Power Outage = Sense Offline

I just had this happen and forgot to rest it yesterday so I lost almost 24 hours of data :(. I have a UPS on my modem and router so they should have been available the whole time.

Just to update here, I received my replacement a few weeks ago now on sm3, had my first brownout yesterday, and the new sense was happily humming along.

1 Like

Another update from me: my new monitor was doing well for a while, then started going offline with increasing frequency, until finally it would stay offline more than online. I removed the TD-69 delay relay from the power path to the monitor and consequently cycled power to the unit. I have not had any problems since doing that. Either the TD-69 had failed, was not interacting properly with the monitor power supply, or the monitor just needed to be rebooted. I will continue keeping an eye on it.

1 Like

My Sense is one year old and my UPS that powers the modem, router, and other computer gear has registered 200+ interruptions in the past year. So far I have not had to reset or give the Sense any attention (power resets) other than the addition of a hi gain WiFi antenna to improve the wifi signal levels. I live in a rural setting which increases the power outages but I don’t see interference or multiple wifi access points. Before I added the antenna I would see many offline and reconnecting messages but the data logs remained intact.

1 Like

I’m glad that a quick google turned up this old gem of a thread.
As the OP stated- I just had the exact experience leading me to go outside and hit the breaker thus bringing sense back online.

I’ve only had my sense less than 2months. Seems like ~8months later, this remains an issue.

@pblohrndz please see this earlier post. That said, the hardware issue is fixed in recent monitors. Are you sure you’re experiencing brownouts and that’s what’s causing the outage?

We really need to fix this lose your data stuff, keep history intact and once devices are detected let you merge the history into the newly detected device

Same for me. We never have power issues, but when we had friends in for dinner just before the 4th the lights flickered and our TiVo reset but none of our clocks went out. The Time Capsule and the Cable Modem didn’t have an issue, but I noticed that the old iPhone 5 I have on a stand showing the Sense app showed the dot pattern indicating reconnecting. It never did. After less than an hour I had had enough and flipped the breaker. All was fine, but I lost that data from the duration.

I notice after having sense for a couple years that when we lose power intermittently that is does not reconnect. Is powering it off and on the only way to reset? Doesn’t appear very resilient.

@RyanAtSense is this resolved and @frankge is experiencing something extraordinary?

It would seem, if @frankge’s network is intact, that Sense’s reconnection attempts are not extended for long enough (minutes/hours/days?). Lingering issue or resolved?

Could this go back to a DNS issue?

This sounds like a different issue and has since been resolved. However, it’s a hardware issue. See this thread: RESOLVED: 1/10 Second Power Outage = Sense Offline - #125 by pblohrndz

@frankge write into Support at support@sense.com and let them know you’re experiencing outages with brownouts that force you to power cycle Sense. They should be able to get you settled.

Merging into the linked thread above.

Thanks I’ll check it out

Mail](Outlook) for Windows 10