At what point did you decide to buy smart plug?

Good question. Tricky!

Kasa sampling (by the plug, as sucked in over wifi by Sense) is in a different realm than Sense is using. Sense is sampling at a much higher rate (fast DSP at the edge) than the Kasa plugs so there is an inherent mismatch in physics, including the temporal delay. That said, with some magic it is certainly possible for Sense to employ the Kasa data to do some post-DSP larger scale detection … but “filtering” is less straightforward than it might first appear. Realtime filtering: no. Delayed filtering: possible.

There are a few things to consider (IMHO) for computers and Sense:

• Yes, potentially, to a certain extent a computer’s “noisy” signature may create some detection issues but you would have to have an otherwise very minimal (electrically) household to start trying to pare that back. Switching it off would only (maybe) help if it were done in a very regular fashion but then you can think of it as almost adding to the problem because Sense may be thinking “where did that noise go?”. Switching it off for a night or two, in the scheme of things, isn’t going to help. If you have, say, an OLED TV, that’s going to present to Sense with a similar (even noisier) signature = the hardest things for Sense.

• If you want smooth you could put all your computer gear behind a pure sine wave UPS. Sense will not then detect anything behind the UPS but you could have HS110s or HS300s on the gear. My method is to have computer and peripherals (second monitor and drives) on a power strip plugged into one HS300 outlet. The other outlets on the HS300 are occupied by my network gear. The HS300 is plugged into a UPS.

• While it might seem near impossible to track an OLED TV (or computer) there are what I’ve called meta-signatures (for want of an official term). Devices get used by humans and humans do things in recognizable patterns. As do machines for that matter. Sense may not be able to track the true wattage of an OLED but in theory it could use other (meta) patterns and data to at least identify when the device is on or off. Sense’s “Network listening” is currently doing this in a limited way. Philips HUE integration uses a similar method. “I’m on”/“I’m off” rather than what the smart plugs do: broadcasting energy usage. Post-processing is where the real potential is … going back over historical data and determining when an EV was plugged in seems like the low-hanging fruit in that regard.

2 Likes