Detecting Electric Vehicle (EV) devices

I’d had a Fusion PHEV since June and still no detection yet, the pattern is very recognizable to the human eye buy no detection by Sense yet. It is my understanding as BenAtSense said that detection algorithm for each EV type requires development from the data scientists. I eagerly await the release of the algorithm. :slight_smile: for the PHEV Fusion. I was in the same boat, would love a Tesla!, but could only afford a Fusion. :wink:

2 Likes

https://www.tesla.com/used/5YJSA1S17EFP53910?redirect=no

$47 for a CPO one :wink:

1 Like

Would be wonderful if we could just identify a flow as my EV charger. I have a GE L2 30A unit plugging into a Kia Soul EV.

On a related note, my pool pump hasn’t been identified either. And yet the pool pump and the EV are the biggest energy hogs in my home - would be wonderful to know how much those are costing us!

1 Like

We totally agree that it’s important to be able to pinpoint big energy hogs, @sanjaynoronha. Part of how we prioritize our device detection work is exactly that. At this stage Sense is better at detecting pumps than EVs, but we’re working on both.

1 Like

Damn that is tempting.

Unless it has changed recently, there were more Chevy Volts on the road in North America than any other plug-in car. I hope that is one of the factors you consider when prioritizing your efforts.

I love Sense and have been impressed by how many devices it has found (16 in a month) but without car charger detection, a big slice of my monthly energy is still “unknown”.

3 Likes

How many people an improvement will impact is definitely a factor! With regards to EV usage in the Sense community, Teslas are actually the most owned (based on a survey we did a little while back), but Volts are popular as well.

1 Like

Don’t forget us FIAT owners. We have enough to worry about our cars.
F- ix
I- t
A- gain
T- ony

:grin:

And us Leaf owners think our EV is the most sold in the US.

4 Likes

What did you mean by

If your EV is on its own breaker, then that may be a solution to get to your desired outcome faster

Can the Sense sense circuit breaker-by-circuit breaker usage? Or did you mean use something other than the sense on that circuit, and if so, what?

+1 on your survey for the Volt
And throw in a Zenn car, too.

I gave up waiting for Sense to discover my Chevy Spark EV and bought a ChargePoint Home Charging Station. It connects to the web, has an android/iOS app and keeps track of the amount of charging and costs. I use the ChargePoint stations around town and at work so now I have an total accounting of the costs for charging my car. This station will charge both 3.3 and 6.6 KW cars.

2 Likes

I was just meaning that if the EV was on its own breaker, a device like TED or similar - with CTs provided for each breaker, may be a better option if all you cared about was info on your EV.

The hope is that Sense can someday do it without having to tap into each breaker.

2 Likes

According to HybridCars.com:

“As of December 2016, cumulative sales are led by the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid with 113,489 units, followed by the Nissan Leaf all-electric car with 103,597 units delivered. Ranking third is the Tesla Model S with an estimated 92,317 units sold through December 2016.”

I’d just like to hear that the Volt is an active project that someone at Sense is spending their days working on.

1 Like

@bmchollan, it’s on our list but I don’t have a timeline for it at the moment unfortunately. We do detect the Model S, however, and are working on the LEAF detector. How we prioritize EVs depends in part on the prevalence of the vehicle in the Sense community (Teslas actually top the list here), but also depends on a number of other factors.

Hi Ben,

I’ve read through a lot of this conversation, but have not entirely read it, so I may have missed it. I have a 2017 Model S, and Sense has detected it, but does not always register the load. It’s on a NEMA 14-50, and has it’s own breaker. I charge it nearly every night. I take it this is pretty normal?

Hey @akahn,

Unfortunately right now that can be normal but we do have plans to improve that.

1 Like

What is so hard about the Leaf detector? I’ve been waiting for it for well over a year when you said you are “working” on it. It accounts for a good portion of my draw and has been just going into the bit bucket because it’s unknown. Can you shed some light on why this particular detector has been so hard to deploy?

2 Likes

Hey Andrew,

I really apologize for the wait on a Nissan Leaf detector. In order to be able to track devices in real-time, we need to be able to accurately track when the device both turns on and off. For the Leaf in particular, it has some nuances that make the off rather difficult to track. That has thrown a little wrench into the detector development for it. I hope that sheds some light on this.

Appreciate the patience!

I normally don’t complain or especially pile on, but what’s the deal with Tesla Model X? From what I’ve read here Sense already discovers the Model S, is the X that different? It uses the same underlying technology. I bought my Sense in large part in order to determine electrical consumption of my EV and so I’m still patiently waiting…

1 Like