Phillips Hue Detection Questions

Well, if your question is “Will whatever bulbs the Hue bridge is linked to be controllable through Sense?” then the answer I believe is yes. Seems like somebody here in the community may have tested this … if not, get a bulb and report back.

@kevin1 makes a good point … if you want the energy tracking through Sense then you’ll need to check whether the Hue bridge metric for manually added bulbs is correct.

Something else to consider: My cursory look at Cree vs Philips is that the Hue bulbs (newer ones) have more lumens/watt to comply with improving DoE code. I always start in bulb choice with the light spectrum (TM-30-18 which supersedes CRI) and then consider lumens/watt because the “nicer” a bulb is the longer it tends to last … meaning: If you don’t like the light quality you’ll probably upgrade before the bulb fails. Factor in those metrics into your choice rather than assuming that a “cheaper” bulb is going to actually be cheaper in the long term. I am in no way endorsing the Hue bulbs here btw, the older color variable ones I have imho have terrible light quality but are usable because I can set them to different alert colors. For actual “lighting” I use the Philips ExpertColor range … which isn’t a connected bulb. Switching convenience through the Hue hub may outweigh all your other factors but I prioritize light quality; efficiency and longevity … and there’s also the bonus of being forced to use the old toggle switches I like = exercise!