[Project] AC Energy Comparison

AC Energy Comparison analyzes air conditioner energy usage in your home compared to similar homes. Sense calculates your average AC energy usage per day (kWh) during the summer months and compares performance to other homes depending on the ‘Home Details’ you’ve entered in the Sense app, including:

• State
  • Zip code
  • Local weather
  • Home size

Please note, AC Energy Comparison relies on Sense having at least partial detection of your AC and currently only works for central ACs, heat pumps and some window ACs.

If you’ve received a notification in the Sense app about AC Energy Comparison, we’d like you to share details here in the community.

How to create an AC Energy Comparison stall post for community feedback

• Title - For the title of your new post, please label the post: AC Energy Comparison - [SUBJECT]
  • Completeness - In order for the Sense community to provide feedback or insight, please share the below details when submitting a post to the community.
  • Tagging - Please make sure the entry is tagged correctly as “AC Energy Comparison”
  • Consistent formatting - Please make sure you have as many of the above criteria as possible in your post so Sense community members can offer feedback or questions.

Required information to include:

What type of AC do you have?

1. Central AC (ducted)
  2. Geothermal (ducted)
  3. Air Handler
  4. Other - please specify

What type of blower does your AC have?

1. Conventional constant or fixed speed motor
  2. Variable speed motor
  3. I don’t know

What type of compressor does your AC have?

1. Conventional constant or fixed speed compressor (most units have this)
  2. Variable-speed electronic inverter-controlled motor (most mini-splits, some modern ducted ACs, heat-pumps, and window-ACs have this)
  3. I don’t know

Have you performed a Home Energy Audit OR did a professional perform an audit?

• What did you find?
  • What did you change?

Optional Information to include:

• Make/Model of your AC?
  • How old is your AC?

Resources for AC Energy Comparison

If you have found additional state (or national) resources, please reach out to @JustinAtSense.

• Home Energy Audits
    • Do-it-yourself Home Energy Audit
      • If you’re looking for some ways to save on your energy bill and usage, this is the perfect place to start.
    • Professional Home Energy Audit
      • If you’ve already performed a DIY Home Energy Audit, having a professional come out for a routine inspection is the next step. Before paying for a professional home energy audit, check to see if your state offers free or discounted audits as part of their energy efficiency program.

State and Utility resources:

4 Likes

@JustinAtSense Greetings! I noticed the AC Energy Comparison module however it notes it is not available for comparison. Is there a length of time Sense had to have been installed before it becomes “active”? I installed August 2nd, 2020. My home details are filled out but I don’t see a “weather” entry, assume this and “state” is taken from zip code? My AC was identified in the first couple weeks so would have expected it would have provided a comparison. Cool to see this feature. Does it talk to my (3) ecobee3’s installed as well from my data send?

Hey @norenlaw. AC Energy Comparison requires about summer’s worth of data for this feature to generate an estimate, so you won’t see any data for now.

2 Likes

We have a geothermal water-to-air heat pump (Hydron Module), which has two compressors in one box and two separate air handlers (one upstairs, one down.) It has to be really hot to run the second compressor; I think it only turned on once this summer. We used the heat pump most of July, and only a few days in August. Sense is really bad at picking up the heat pump, unfortunately, so its claim that we’re near the middle of the pack in usage is pretty much worthless. However, the daily kWh usage can be used to estimate actual AC cost; it runs about 20kWh per day when it’s really hot out.

The main part of the house is stone, probably built around 1800. The back part is wood, new in 2017 along with the heat pump, all the appliances, and us!

1 Like