Sense vs. Ecobee: Round II

Here’s a more graphical view on how Sense detections eventually hone in on the actual operation of my upstairs and downstairs compressor units as measured by the Ecobee thermostat commands. The number shown is the weekly Pearson correlation between hourly Sense detection energy usage and my upstairs and downstairs Ecobee cooling runtimes. A correlation of 1 means that there is a perfect linear correlation between energy usage and runtime. 0 means no correlation and a negative number means negatively correlated.

Upstairs Compressor
The upstairs compressor is on for more of the year since my upstairs heats up more (hot air rises, cool air falls and I have a big open entryway). Initially Sense detected my upstairs unit as device AC and had good correlation for a while until the unit was running pretty much all day long. Then, for some reason, a new AC detection from early May, AC2, that hadn’t correlated to anything particularly well, suddenly started matching more with my upstairs usage (and downstairs as well). Then, around July 10th I replaced both compressors and Sense was forced to sort thing out again. Eventually AC2 matched up with my upstairs compressor and AC3 matched up with my downstairs unit.

Downstairs Compressor
My downstairs compressor turns on much later in the season because my downstairs stays cooler.

The best part, is that I actually get a view that Sense is getting smarter as time goes by, despite my efforts to confuse it (new compressors).

EcobeeVsSense3.R (5.2 KB)

1 Like