Smart plugs and device detection

My response could have been better worded. Usually when users write in about “training,” they’re talking about supervised learning done by them, i.e., going around the house and turning devices on/off to force detection. This is not possible with smart plugs at the moment. We will absolutely be using that data to build better models on our end, however. In this way, sure, we’re training the models. I just try and avoid that language given the connotations it has for many users.

And it’s not necessarily that user-driven training isn’t possible, it’s just wildly impractical and would likely be an incredibly frustrating experience to deliver us the fine-grained data necessary for detection.

Ok makes sense. That said though, if for example I would have an HS110 on my washer (say it wasn’t detected yet, in my case it is), Sense will now attribute the power usage it gets from the HS110 to the “Washer” device that it sets up as part of the HS110 integration. I would assume it’s going to continue to “try” to still identify the power signature of my washer the “old fashioned” ML way so it could happen that at some point in the future, it now detects my washer using the ML model (whether or not at this point it uses the HS110 data or not is irrelevant). At that point since it now has “detected” my washer the ML way, I could (or at least should be able to) remove the HS110 from my washer to utilize it somewhere else without this affecting the “ML detection” of my washer… right?

Does that make sense?

That definitely makes sense, but it’s not quite how the integration works. So, we’ll actually make every attempt to not detect a smart plug device via ML after you’ve connected it to a smart plug. This is very much intentional, as we would not want wattage to get duplicated from multiple iterations of the same device or device components. That said, we still collect data for it in the typical fashion and if you remove the device from the smart plug, that data will be used to help with an ML-based detection.

Interesting. That really makes no sense as to why you wouldn’t want to continue to try to detect the device via ML as you can feed the ML engine model for device type X very specific data about the device plugged into the smart plug (gathered from the integration) to help that process potentially go quicker.

I can see there could be some difficulty with double counting usages for the relatively short period of time between the time the device (component) is detected the ML way and the time the user confirms that “Device X” that was detected actually is (part of) the device(s) that are plugged into Smart Plug X. Once that identification is confirmed all that data can be attributed correctly to the combined “merged” device(s) (smart plug one + ML one) again though.

Keep in mind that smart plugs aren’t just about quicker detection. They’re also about control. That double counting becomes a lot more serious when a user intends to use a smart plug as a permanent control mechanism for the device. Still, I should add that this integration is new. As we actually see it put to use by users, functionality could change down the line.

I think I’d like to see us be able to configure a smart plug as either controllable or not controllable. There are some plugs that I have for control - lamp, subwoofer, etc. I have other smart plugs purely for measurement. For the latter, I’d like to see some indicator that says that Sense ML has detected the underlying signature of the device and that I can remove it from the smart plug because I don’t need the smart plug electrical usage monitoring anymore.

I’ve been thinking of buying some extra smart plugs for my washer and (gas) dryer. This would purely be for electrical usage monitoring, not for smart control. I’m not sure why my washer and dryer haven’t been detected yet.

As of the last patch, you can turn on/off the control functionality for individual smart plugs. You’ll see that options in the Device Settings screen.

As for the possibility of removing smart plugs after Sense has accurately detected the device, that is the goal here. We’re pulling in lots of ground truth data in order to implement that functionality in the future.

That makes all sorts of sense to me. Effectively the smart plug would be acting like a rapid response 24x7x365 human observer, accurately telling Sense when something turns on or off and probably more promptly than a human user could possibly do it. So it doesn’t interfere with Sense’s underlying architecture and it eliminates the need for a customer to be watching the alerts all the time.

And, since Sense would tell the user wen it’s identified each smart plugged device, the user can then decide when to remove the smart plug and let Sense do its job.