Wemo vs TP HS110

Will one work better than the other? My local walmart stocks the Wemo so I was going to pick that one up to try out but all I see on the board is TP installs so that has me worried that I should just wait and order the 110, any Wemo users out there happy with how it works with sense?

1 Like

Biggest difference seems to be that the Wemo defaults to off after a power outage. Not so great if you have the Smartplug connected to mission critical stuff like modem/router or refrig/freezer. I think in most cases the TP-Link is cheaper.

1 Like

Thanks, I did not read that about them. That is actually a good thing because I will be using 2 of them to monitor 2 oil filled heaters I just got to try and warm up some colder rooms, would rather them default to off if the power goes out. I missed the sale on the TP’s at newegg, but didn’t have the need then.

1 Like

My experience with the HS110’s is that they recover to the last power state when a power failure occurrs…so if they were on, they come back on again when power is restored. If they were off, they remain off when power is restored.

The wemo does indeed default to off, and you can’t change that behaviour.

I’ve owned both. I MUCH prefer the TPLink HS110.

3 Likes

Don’t make the bonehead purchase I did, I got the Wemo mini smart plug. After I got it up and running and could not find the voltage output in the wemo app I went back to sense faq and found out I needed the Wemo Insight plug… ugh. No wonder you guys are going with the 110, that insight plug is expensive, I thought $25 was a lot and all this thing does is turn the power off and on.

Edit: HS110kit on its way for only a couple bucks more than 1 wemo.

2 Likes

I like that modem/router was first in the mission critical list.

5 Likes

I LOVE the TP-Link HS-110. I’ve got four of them hooked up right now. One in on my computer system and one on my home entertainment system. I don’t use those for on/off at all I just use them as it allows Sense to monitor the electric usage. I have one set up on a light, and it is set through Alexa to go on in the evening and off later at night. But my best set up is the last one which I have hooked up to a Watts circulating pump the has a by-bass valve on a far sink in the master bedroom. Rather than have to run my shower for 90 seconds to get hot water to that location the pump gives me hot water all the time, but I would not want to run it all the time as that would waste a lot of power. So I put it on a TP-link switch and set up a routine in Alexa which turns it on for five minutes and then shuts it off. But it gets better, rather than have to talk to it I got one of the Amazon Alexa Buttons that I have on the sink counter in the bathroom. It is batter operated and ties to one of my Echo Dots. When I push the button it runs the routine to have hot water when I want to shower.

4 Likes

Wow thats alot of devices, I just let my wife take the first shower. I just got done super insulating my hot water lines so the water stays warmer for longer.

2 Likes

The HS-110 will run 220v up to 15watts (I’m doing it). The Wemo may, as well, but I can’t confirm that.

With some simple mods the HS-110 can run at least 40amps at 220v.

I have several Wemo devices and wemo insights. They work pretty well. The App is not the greatest and tends to lock up at times, but for scheduling they work very well.

I like the TP, just wish it was like the wemo non insight and wouldn’t take up so much space, I was able to fit two wemo non insights on a plug. I prefer kasa app over belkins. The TP was found quickly in sense and has been going good so far with no dropout issues.

2 Likes

Do you have a link to those mods?

what mods are you referring to?

Replied to wrong one, meant to reply to @hoveringuy.

I’ll need to post some pictures depicting the current paths through the unit and how it works.

The short version is that the on/off relay is only rated for 16amps and needs to be shorted with a jumper.

It’s rated for 16A @ 240V. I’m running 2 of them, 1 on each of our EV’s, @ 240V/16A.

I would strongly question the claim that they could handle 40A@240V though. Relay aside, the contacts on both the female and male portions of the physical plug portion of the switch are just far too small to safely handle those sorts of amps. Look at the size of the contacts on a dryer plug and compare them to a standard 15A plug - BIG difference.

As for the Wemo vs HS110 debate, yes, TP Link is running away with the market. Belkin is still priced WAY too high (2 or 3 years ago they could get the prices they were asking, but in a market now flooded by plenty of lower priced options they are still trying to live in the past) but their app, at least the iPhone version, is currently a giant dumpster fire.

I’m not sure WTF they did but it’s just a mess - slow to load devices, often they don’t show online or take 10-20+ seconds to show up, etc etc. I think their back end is suffering as well since for a week or so now I’m getting the occasional “your device isn’t online” response from Alexa when trying to control some of my Wemo devices.

In short, I have some Wemo and some TP Link. I won’t be buying any more Wemo devices moving forward…

2 Likes

10ga wire can just about carry 40amps per NEC and it’s not very big. NEC is over the top conservative on any kind of overheating in very hot conditions.

I wouldn’t design it that way to carry 40amps, but on very short distances it’s not going to create a lot of heat.

My project in the next week will be to connect one to my spa which draws about 6000 watts at 220v and see how it does.

Yeah, I’m seeing the same in iOS over here. Honestly, since we integrated with them, I haven’t touched either the Tp-Link or the Wemo apps, except to add plugs. I also hava few Elgato Eve plugs which are really great for energy analytics and they work in Homekit, but I’m likely just going to replace them with HS110s so I can integrate them with Sense. Of course, now my setup is getting a bit more fragmented since the HS110s don’t integrate with Homekit…but such is IoT in 2018. :upside_down_face:

I don’t get it why they make these smart plugs so big, I have not taken one apart yet but I fail to see why it has to be the size it is to do its job. It makes the other plug unusable.