175W Bank of Dimmable LED. To Sense or To Not Sense?

I have a bank of LED in the basement which totals 175W when at full tilt. We have a Lutron Occupancy Sensor that turns them on to 75% over a 10 second period when you go downstairs and 30 seconds when they fade off.

What is the shot that Sense picks them up? It is a distinct profile but I was not sure if the 10-second ramp up and 30 second down is too long for the system to sense a change coming from a single device. I am able to reduce the ramp up/down if that would help. Cheers!

Iā€™m betting 0% probability of detection with a 10 second ramp. Pretty sure 10 seconds is outside of Senseā€™s detection window. Hereā€™s something to experiment with. Open the main Power Meter in the phone/tablet app. Try turning the lights on, wait, then off. See if Sense tags those transitions with on and off power info in the Power Meter. If not, shorten the delay. Given the combo of the electronic control and the low usage of LEDs, even zero might not register.

Examples of tagged transitions below:

1 Like

I agree with @kevin1 ā€“ only if youā€™re able to put them on a ā€˜smartplugā€™ would Sense be able to put them in anything other than ā€œOtherā€.

1 Like

That is an excellent suggestion, it catches the on cycle but not the off cycle, I went ahead and changed the off cycle to 10 seconds. It was set to be longer so that the lights donā€™t go out immediately if there is no motion but you are still down there. Really like this approach though, I wonder if Sense can confirm the the tagged transitions equal to the Sense identification window.

1 Like

Not sure if Sense will ever confirm, but it fits with all Senseā€™s descriptions of product operation in various webinars, blogs, etc. One interesting description of what goes on in the Sense monitor here:

ā€œThe monitor does a lot of heavy lifting. It processes more than 4 megabytes of samples from the current sensors and line voltage sensors each second. It does feature extraction on that data, power calculations, and evaluates that data stream against a probabilistic model of the possible states of the house. The monitor also handles Wi-Fi connectivity, local network device discovery, buffering and uploading your houseā€™s data, and other housekeeping tasks like software updates and Bluetooth-based setup.ā€

But just because Sense ā€œseesā€ (tags) a transition, doesnā€™t make it detectable. The transition also has to be identifiable and unique. I think thatā€™s why I have lot of smallish transitions that are undetected - too many similar transitions to separate out into different unique devices.

2 Likes

Thanks for the read, it is pretty incredible how it functions. I have changed the lights to 10 seconds on and 10 seconds off both of which Sense recognizes as a change in real time. Although the 10 second off is not ideal from a practical/safety perspective Iā€™ll give it a go for a little and see if Sense figures it out. Thanks for the advice and help kevin, hope you had a nice weekend!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.