[COMMUNITY VOTE]: What new device icons would you like to see in the Sense app?

I was among those who voted for a Ceiling Fan icon in the poll above. On my part, at least, that was based more on hope than reality. I have several ceiling fans, and it would be nice if Sense found them. Yet I doubt it will, because they all have soft start circuitry. If I look at the main power meter when I turn on a ceiling fan, there is no spike like other motor-powered devices. Neither do the blades of the ceiling fan immediately start rotating at full velocity. Instead, they gradually spin up to speed. Turning a fan off does give a nice, abrupt change of energy use, but Sense needs to identify both the Off and the On.

My ceiling fans are all directly wired, so I am not aware of any good way to measure them via integration. DCM could measure the circuit to which the fans are connected, but would not distinguish between electricity usage of the fan and of the lights, which are part of the same fixture. That leaves native device detection as the only way to see ceiling fans.

I see that a lot of other people voted for ceiling fans. I’m curious: does anyone have a natively detected ceiling fan, or are all of us who voted for them just wishful thinkers? If you have native detection, I would like to hear about your physical device and what Sense sees when it starts.