Conflated Devices

In my experience, once something gets conflated with an already detected device it is not very easy to separate them. All you can really do is run them at the same time and hope it eventually detects it as a separate device (low success rate for me so far) but the “off” signatures can get conflated when doing this too.

2 Likes

Here is how it looks

AC at 4k and spikes of 3k for the pump totaling at 7k

If Sense takes 3 million samples per sec both devices should have their own unique signatures.

I’ll give Sense time to enjoy my data, then will ask to forget the device.

What kind of sump pump do you have that draws 3.2 kW??

Zoeller, E294-J: https://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-us/products/sewage-pumps/commercial/290-series

Conflated devices - home page view

The AC is cycling every 10 minutes, then 3 second run - that was the water pump forced run to empty an empty sump pit. Devices are conflated. It raises a question - how Sense builds the models?

Conflated devices stayed conflated… The pump ran automatically today for 8 seconds, and it was reported as AC run. Should I forget AC and try again?

@quedak,

Would appreciate any more specifics you have on heuristics for detecting a 13A and above usage ramps and dropoffs. I’m trying to build an accurate edge detector that “finds” my EV charging cycles. I don’t have access to the same high res usage data as Sense, but I figure my every 15 min read from smart-meter merged with Sense data should be enough, given the 48A and 80A draws of each EV. I have one machine learning model “working” on my 2020 data, but now I need a way to label my 2019 data, since I didn’t collect charger info in 2019. Thoughts appreciated.

1 Like

Unfortunately, and based on my observation of the current detection logic, Sense implements an unsupervised learning, it applies the same logic to all devices, it separates phases (legs) to do the analysis, then it decides to look at them together… However, the use of the load wave signature is unclear to me.

Heuristic, applying various rules, is something we do not have, we cannot act on events, use guess and check, work backwards… yes backwards - I do not need to know real time when my car charing started, I can wait 5 minutes, wait while the detection determines that if this device is running more than 4 minute - it is not my water pump - it’s the AC. Then apply the signature rule, saved in the history of the load wave - then report and track the AC, car or pump. another rule wattage, average run time… this not how Sense works.

I don’t think there will be a solution for all conflated devices, but let’s hope.

Sense reported a new device, a 240V device - the big pump, and it identified it correctly. I’ll be monitoring for a few days and see whether 240V pump and AC are still conflated. I reported “This device is not on” event several times - it could be a promptly adjustment Sense made to the models.

2 Likes

This is just to close this topic as Sense divided 240V conflated devices. Sense team - Thank you.

Updates
False success reported - today is hot, my AC is running, cycling, but not recognized by Sense. Well, I deleted the AC device and be happy with my 240V pump device working and detected by Sense. Time will show if my AC will detected again - and if it is not, I really do not care.

2 Likes