Detecting Electric Vehicle (EV) devices

2014 Chevy Volt on a 220v outlet - its only about 3 weeks… stills reads as unknown … i will post once its found

Can’t wait for the Volt! I can determine if it’s charging now by simply looking at the current power draw. It’s the only thing that takes that much current. But it would be so much easier when I’m lying in bed and wondering if I plugged in just ask Alexa.

1 Like

@rbennet2, yeah, I’m in the same boat. I can see my Hyundai Sonata PHEV charging but I can’t tell Sense that. Maybe it will recognized as ‘unnamed heat’ and I can rename it. It’s only been about 4 months…

1 Like

I have a 2014 Chevy Volt too, I was told it was only weeks away back in January… It’s near July. I’m calling bullshit at this point.

IVe now had Sense for almost 3 months and it’s still hasn’t consistently reporting on my Tesla Model S. Most days it detects only the first 31 seconds of my charge; other days nothing and I’ve had like 3 days where it detected a full charge of 15-20kwh. You would think this would be the easiest thing to detect give its high output compared to everything else in my home. I’m quite disappointed it’s taking this long. We are definitely all beta testers who paid full price.

I used to charge my Model S every night at 1am and it would only detect the first 31 seconds. I’ve been manually charging and I’ve seen absolutely no difference. In fact, it’s actually detected a couple of manual full charges in the past couple of weeks.

1 Like

Well, some good news to report. After 3 months of installing Sense, it’s now detected 4 straight days of full charges of my Model S. However, the KWh is off compared to Teslafi.com (knowing I’ve seen overall Sense usage off by 5% from my actual electric meter; I tend to trust Teslafi more). Teslafi had me using 62.1 kWh and Sense has me using 69.5. Exactly a 5% difference! I wonder if this is the culprit for my data inaccuracies with Sense!

Check it out:

Sunday 6/25: (TeslaFi has me using 23.6 kWh, Sense has me using 30.7 kWh)

Monday June 26th (TeslaFi 16.6kwh, Sense 9.5 kWh)

Tuesday, June 27 (Teslafi 16.2 kWh, Sense 21.6kwh)

Wednesday, June 28th (Teslafi 5.7 kwh, Sense 7.7 kwh)

@marcbh,
I believe Teslifi is a measurement from inside the car, of power delivered to the batteries. That will differ from the power utilization measured at the panel. There are going to be losses between the two points due to:

• ohmic losses through house wiring and HPWC.
  • active losses within the charger circuitry in the car

I can see those losses easily being 5%.

1 Like

This thread seems to be focused on the few of us who have electric vehicles, not the bulk of us that have a host of (un-detected) electric systems like heat, stoves, laundry, hot water, etc.

My experience with multiple energy tracking systems (some of them “revenue grade” and calibrated) is that there are often differences. There are a bunch of reasons for this, including where they are measured and what the measurement criteria is, plus inherent measurement errors due to the technology used. For example, my solar system provides a different (higher) value than my web-based monitor which is different than the official revenue grade meter (used for solar credit sales) than Sense. All of these are looking at different steps in the process. For solar, Sense uses similar monitoring (voltake feed olus current transformers) to my web-based (welserver) system, but it seems to be the least accurate by about 7% when compared to the revenue grade monitor. That’s a large discrepancy!

For consumption, Sense is the most “arms length” of the bunch, because it’s having to extract what it thinks that particular device is drawing out of all the other activity on the internal grid.

I wouldn’t worry if it’s a few % different, but if it’s a lot then you may want to figure out why.

Hi @MattAtSense, I scrolled through the post and didn’t see Ford Fusion Energi mention as a model. I just purchased one 2 weeks ago have been charging it with level 2 (220V, 40A EVSE). I’d like to request that Ford Fusion Energi’s get added to list of EVs to be detected. I’ve attached a short charge profile.

Thanks,
Tom

1 Like

I have a Ford Cmax Energi, same as the Fusion but different body style, and it just shows a big gray bubble :frowning:

2 Likes

Just got Sense a week ago. I have a 2015 VW eGolf which I charge from a standard 120v outlet. Let me know if you need any help with the charging data.

Thanks
Nesan

If it helps - even though the rest of my house hasn’t really been reliably sensed - my EV has been pretty spot on over the last month or so. There’s hope!

Hang in there!!

(2014 Tesla MS)

Hi Matt, I still don’t have Sense picking up the recharging of my 2016 Tesla Model S. I charge it at home on a 40Amp circuit. Can anything be done to pick this ‘device’ up since it’s the primary reason I decided to purchase Sense?

Hi Matt - how long/how many charge cycles should it take for Sense to recognize my 2017 BMW i3? I’ve had it for about a month but I don’t charge it every night, so probably 20 sessions worth of data so far.

Thanks!
Mark

I have a fairly long story of woe. One would think that detecting a fixed 5.7 kW load that comes on at exactly the same time every night would be easy, but I guess not.

I have a 2014 Tesla Model S P85 charging on a 30A circuit, so it draws 24A at 240V. It is charging with the Tesla Mobile Connector plugged into a 30A outlet.

I have been running the Sense device since March. The Sense eventually detected the Tesla for a while, but it eventually quit seeing the usage for the Tesla and several other devices.

I tried contacting support and didn’t hear anything, so I eventually reset the device. It found the devices fairly quickly again. Eventually, the Tesla was discovered again and usage assigned to it. The period of proper detection lasted about 2 weeks. Then, the usage stopped being assigned to the car again.

I contacted support again and they recommended deleting the Tesla and letting it be rediscovered. I did that. A week later, the EV was discovered again. The car is now detected when it turns on, with a power usage of 20 watts!

I contacted support again, and their only input was: We’re still working on EV support, and you could try posting on this thread.

So, now what? I could kind of understand the difficulty of detecting my variable speed pump (also not detected), but this should be an easy load to detect! I’m starting to wonder why I bother to keep the Sense box powered on. I’m certainly not recommending it to friends in its current state. It seems like such a great idea, but with fatal flaws still.

So, after resetting the entire device once, and deleting the EV once, what do I do now?

No offense, Mike, but I think the flaw in your logic is in this statement. This is not an easy science by any stretch. Sense is getting better, and is probably the best energy monitor out there at doing this, short of other monitors that have individual cts for each breaker. If your EV is on its own breaker, then that may be a solution to get to your desired outcome faster. But those devices can’t parse out what’s happening on each breaker like Sense is trying to do.

I think the fact that it’s showing up reliably, but at 20w would give me hope that the model would continue improving.

1 Like

I actually work in the data science area. The profile of a Tesla ramping up is actually very consistent and recognizable and should be fairly easy to detect.

Especially in a system that claims to recognize and support the Tesla.

And where this particular device has found (and lost) the Tesla twice already.

It knows how to find the car (at full power), it just can’t seem to keep it once found.

You fix it, then.

5 Likes

So, how is your device detector for the Chevy Volt working?

It’s apparently not working on my system. I have had my Volt and Clipper Creek Level 2 EVSE since before I installed the Sense module and it has yet after 6 months to recognize when the Volt is charging.

After 6 months the device list in the app only lists 18 devices, and two of those are Always On and Unknown. The rest are questionable as far as I am concerned as to if they are correctly identified.
Electric Dryer and electric oven and cooktop have never showed up in the list. Washing machine also a now show.