Device Detection Major Update: Chevy Electric Vehicles - 10/11/18

Interesting, my understand was only the miles left were inaccurate (guess-o-meter). However I would think the amount of energy consumed should be very accurate since most likely they are measuring the current via CT or shunt. My bet the charging efficiency is impacted by the ambient temp, winter should be worse than summer. Requires more energy to charge a colder than a warmer battery (not hot battery)?

1 Like

Correct, 3 phase power but it’s residential in California. Actually I wish I had access to 240V for faster and slightly more efficient charges.

1 Like

I charge my Volt every day (220 charger), and it still has yet to be detected by Sense.

Did you reach out to support?

I just now submitted a ticket.

2 Likes

Similar here…

I charge my Bolt most every day (ChargePoint Charger with WIFI and Network Identification enabled), and it still has yet to be detected by Sense.

We have had the Bolt since June 2018.

Hey Ryan, you can probably add the Cadillac ELR to this list. My ELR (same Voltec system as the Chevy Volt) has been seen for the last few months and pretty solidly for the month of December.

Thanks.

Interesting…we haven’t done specific work on that one but it may just look really similar to the Volt and that’s why it’s getting picked up. Thanks for the heads up. We’ll dig in a bit further.

1 Like

The ELR is basically a Volt in Caddy clothing, so it makes sense it would be detected using a Volt profile.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I did not know they were so similar.

1 Like

Has anyone had detection success with a Volt being charged at 240V using the standard travel charger, adapted for two phase? Sense has had over two years of this setup and has only managed to detect the Volt’s “battery heating” cycle — a 6 minute ramp up to ~2300W that recurs more often during cold periods. Interestingly this cycle used 140kWh last year.

As a JuiceBox owner, I would just love to see integration between it and Sense. Sense is having a very hard time reliably picking up my Volt. Even when it does see it, it randomly thinks it’s off/disconnected after 20-30 seconds.

I didn’t think it was EVSE specific?

It isn’t - the detection actually happens specific to the charger hardware itself, which is part of the vehicle on all EV’s.

Although recent strides have been made with EV detection there are still some struggles.

@staze, how long ago was your Volt detected initially? If it wasn’t that long ago you may just need to wait a bit longer for your Sense to continue to learn and hopefully detection will get better.

Are you using the Gen2 charger (the Clipper Creek) with a 240V adapter for it? I had one of these initially before moving to a set of Duosida’s.

It shouldn’t effect detection as (like I mentioned in my last reply) it should be EVSE agnostic, with the only requirement being 240V vs 120V.

You could consider deleting the EVSE/heater detection in Sense and seeing if it may aid in it picking up the full car now since detection was updated recently - don’t take my word for it, but perhaps the old detection is somehow blocking the new updated detection.

Alternately, since you’re comfortable with the adapter routine, you could just pickup a TP-Link HS110 and you would instantly gain 100% solid full detection of the entire car. :wink:

As another datapoint, I am using a Bosch (GM OEM) EVSE to charge my 2014 Volt. Sense has found the car but detection is flaky at best. I have another HS110 on the way and am planning to hack something together to get direct measurements.

1 Like

Yep, this is the Gen2 charger with a 240V adapter. I’m against using TP-Link simply because this is such a large and obvious usage signature that Sense should be able to accurately spot it. I could go around using current sensing smart plugs on all the major loads, but then that kind of defeats the basic purpose of Sense. So I’m assuming that it will happen soon. I may try deleting the heater (but this is the time of year it runs the most so I may wait a month or two).

I totally see and understand your point, but in my case, having 2 identical EV’s which often charge at the same time, support indicated that I would probably never see a reliable detection because of how the signatures overlap with each other, etc.

Accordingly, because of the reality that every night we are putting ~25KW into our EV’s, I decided it was simpler to just use HS110’s to immediately “solve” the issue and get accurate charging data in Sense moving forward. :wink:

1 Like

@oshawapilot : I can’t recall when it first detected. I will say it’s been better the last couple weeks. It seems it almost every time now, regardless of SoC for the car. But, it is still shutting off prematurely (the Sense thinks the car has stopped charging well before it actually has).

So, I think the model is improving, or Sense is doing some work to adjust it. Either way, I’m happy. I would love to see them just integrate with Juicebox like they do for smart plugs, but I’m not sure if that’s doable with how Juicebox’s work. =)

I’m sure they are also looking at direct Tesla integration as well…