Device Detection Major Update: Chevy Electric Vehicles - 10/11/18

My Tesla Model S 2016 is not detected. I really wish it was.

If it’s useful for reference, my 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid (on a Siemens lvl2 charger) was detected a few weeks ago, seemingly around the time this update came out.

I have been patiently waiting almost 2 years for Sense to recognize my Tesla Model S and it still doesn’t :frowning:

@wynne.walker and @scott3

Have you worked with Support on this at all? There are so many factors that go into device detection that it’s tough to say from afar what might be blocking it. I do know that we don’t work with all Tesla Model S as the signature differs depending on release date and certain release dates are tougher to track than others.

Yes I have and I just emailed them again.

+1 for detecting Tesla Model 3.

I would also like to know why it’s so difficult to detect an EV. In my case, I use the Tesla charger @240V 40A. It always starts charging after midnight. Is there anything else that generates a 10KW load for hours at a time at midnight? Seems like the complex machine learning algorithm could use a simple if statement.

[quote=“petersen.mc, post:46, topic:3643, full:true”]I would also like to know why it’s so difficult to detect an EV.

Seems like the complex machine learning algorithm could use a simple if statement.[/quote]

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing last night.

If consumption = (typical make/model of EV L2 charger draw) then device=EV, else=Other

The on and off signatures from our Volts are also consistent, and for my human eye at least, reasonably easy to pick out.

Here’s one of our 2 Volts starting a charge cycle.

And here’s the end of the charge cycle, also quite an identifiable signature.

Between the 2 events, it’s a steady 3.14KW draw, and on the downward taper it kicks off at 1.15W.

I too am stumped why this is hard for the sense ML to pickup on. I’m left with both of our Volts undetected still despite both consuming ~>10KW per day each. :frowning:

I just spoke to the DS team about the difficulties. These are the core challenges:

1. We are doing real-time detection, so we need to figure out what it is by looking at the start of the charge cycle. With those slow ramp times, it’s hard to detect. So, yes, you could have an IF-THEN that says IF consumption equals, say, 2000W, THEN it’s an EV, but that consumption can take 30 minutes or longer to develop. This is something we’re working hard to refine for EVs specifically however.

2. The start of the charge is much more variable than, say, refrigerators, which leads to the next point…

3. We need to build a different model for each different type of EV. They all look different. And these differences can occur across EV models, which is why we don’t detect all Tesla S or X.

4. EVs charge very infrequently (at best once per day, sometimes once per week, and often this doesn’t even occur at home) so we have much less data to work with.

Look at my data all you want if it’s helpful, we have 2 first gen Volts charging every single day of the week, at least one of them (my wifes) typically going from 0%SOC to 100%SOC M-F consistently (with smaller top ups on weekends as well), and mine usually from at least 50%SOC to 100%SOC (My commute is less than my wifes) most days as well, with some days also being a 0-100%SOC charge.

As for the ramp time, take a look at my screenshots - the ramp time on both of our cars is literally seconds and it reaches full amp draw - the ramp down would seem to be the more challenging part, but it’s typically <5min as well and seems fairly predictable.

I’m starting to wonder what’s happening on my end that I haven’t seen either of our Volts detected yet as it would seem I’m a prime candidate data-wise (2 cars, daily heavy charge cycles, etc) but after approaching a month, still nothing.

How many charge cycles for each has Sense seen ? Unless they have few hundred charge cycles, I wouldn’t be anxious. It took a little over a year for my Model S to show up. I have had Sense for almost 2 years, and have 3 other EVs and none of them have been identified yet. But they all probably only have 1/3 the charge history as the Model S.

I’d say there’s between 60 and 80 charge cycles, possibly more, since we’ve been a sense user.

Taking a year for your MS to show up makes more sense when it’s not even an officially “recognized” device, but as per this thread, the Volt is now supposed to be a recognized device.

Yes, I know it’s still early, and I’m not really anxious nor upset (yet), but I am looking forward to it…given as how such a massive amount of our usage is our 2 EV’s, so needless to say our “Other” category is a huge bellcurve right now in our overall stats.

@kevin1’s model S is actually one of our “officially recognized” EVs. It’s the model 3 that is still in progress.

There’s a variety of reasons Sense may not be picking up on your Volt, but lack of data is the common culprit here. I’d suggest giving it more time. Have you mentioned this to Support at all? I’d be happy to open a ticket on your behalf. It’s possible something simple is blocking detection, though unlikely.

Aha, sorry, thought it was the 3 that was recognized and the S that wasn’t. Had it mixed up.

And yes, I’d be interested in working with support, sure. I’m just surprised others with Volts above reported their cars being discovered literally within days of the roll out, but myself, not so much - despite having 2 of them, so yes, I’m more concerned that something is blocking detection vs anything else.

I’ll shoot you a PM.

For any in the same situation as me (2 identical EV’s) the followup to my ticket was that, unfortunately, this really complicates detection, so it may explain my experience.

Although the tech guys said they would look into things, long story short, it sounds like I shouldn’t hold my breath.

This doesn’t just apply to EVs. I have 2 identical HVAC units and get the same issue. I don’t see any logical workaround at this time.

I’ve been using my 240v EVSE to recharge my i3 for all of the 4 months I’ve been using Sense (and another 17 months before that). During those 4 months I’ve recharged roughly 75 times, but still no recognition. I guess I just need to be (more) patient.

So, now that the beta is over (I was part of the program), I can share some information for fellow Volt/EV owners specific to the freshly announced TP-Link HS110 / Belkin Wemo Insight integration.

The HS110 is confirmed by TP-Link to be dual voltage (120V & 240V) capable, and yes, arguably the Wemo Insight has also been discovered to be dual voltage, albeit Belkin doesn’t (unlike TP-Link) confirm it. The HS110 is rated for 16A@240V, again, as confirmed by TP-Link. The decals indicate (120V / 15A) because they are, as TP-Link describes it, “Labelled to local standards”, but they are indeed 240V/16A capable.

So, I now have 2 HS110’s hooked up to our 240V 16A EVSE’s so I can now independently detect and log the consumption from both of our Chevy Volts. They are both charging right now, see attached image - no more massive “Other” bubble every night!

For anyone interested in more details, respond here and I’ll share as much as I can.

Please take note that this is ONLY valid for up to 16A EVSE’s, which coincidentally, is what the Volt max’s out at for a charging rate (our Gen1’s are actually 15A), but any larger EVSE’s such as the next step up (32A) won’t work as they exceed the amp carrying capability of the HS110/Insight.

Thanks for the info; like you I have a Chevy Volt that has not been detected by Sense. I also have an AC coupled residential battery system that charges at the same time as the Volt. So I assume that might complicate the detection process. And I have several HS110, but even though they are capable of 240V/16A, I would assume that they were designed for single phase systems like in Europe and Asia and not for a split phase system that we use here for 240V. I doubt the HS110’s use a dual pole relay, so as safety issue when in the off state half of the circuit will still be “hot”. Something to keep in mind.

I have cycled power on and off using the HS110 itself and the EVSE seems to be perfectly cool with it, giving no indication its trying to operate on a single phase whatsoever.