Device Detection Major Update: Tesla Model 3 - 1/9/19

Hey @timwood, let us know what you see here moving forward. Charging frequency plays a large part in building out device models for your home - it may take some more time for Sense to have enough data to build a model for your EV.

1 Like

@timwood, I have an M3 and have the same result as you are seeing. I am also using a NEMA plug but with the wall charger. Gives 240V @ 40A so 13.6 kwh. The detection has gotten very good at identifying the start but will drop a big chunk of the draw from the Tesla for the remainder of the cycle. I have my charging scheduled in the early mornings on weekdays which makes it very easy to see just how much of my charging is incorrectly placed into the “Other” bucket. @JustinAtSense, feel free to have the data folks take a gander at my data.

1 Like

Hi @ptmoore - How long have you been seeing this trend? I would expect this to increase in accuracy as Sense continues to refine the models for your EV in your home. If you’re still seeing this issue, please reach out to us at support@sense.com so we can take a deeper look.

What I described above is still happening. Every time I charge the car. At least it’s consistent.

:man_shrugging:

Hey @timwood. Do you mind if our Data Science takes a look at your home data to get a better idea of what’s happening here?

I didn’t capture the bubbles but here is the hourly views for other and Tesla.

1 Like

Hi @JustinAtSense. I don’t mind at all. The Data Science team can have a look at all my Sense home data.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @timwood / @ptmoore. I’ve connected with Data Science and will let you know if we get a better idea of what’s happening here. Appreciate your help!

I’m noticing that a random amount of time before the Tesla is finished charging (tonight it was over 2 hours before the Tesla was finished charging) Sense will report it “turned off” and then all the power the Tesla is using is reported under “Other”.

Tonight Sense detected the Tesla “turned on” at 6:46pm (EST) and then reported t turned off at 8:46pm. The Tesla app reports it still has 1 hr 20 minutes left to charge and it’s still charging.

Thanks for the update here, @timwood. I’ve passed this along to help provide context to the Data Science team on the issues you’re seeing here.

I have some updates that might be helpful.

1. I now have 2 Model 3s safely charging off one 100 amp sub-panel in my garage, pictured here.
    I took delivery of my 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor on Dec 23 2018, it charges daily using our garage’s Wall Connector at 40 amps.
    I took delivery of my 2020 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus on Dec 17 2019, it charges daily using the Mobile Connector (now wall mounted) at 32 amps.
    So this means both cars are charging at once occasionally, and things are more complicated.

2. From Monday evening on Jan 13 to Thursday morning Jan 16, I had a loaner Tesla Model S in my garage while my Model 3 was being repaired. You may want to ignore that data.

3. Tesla has released a new Gen 3 Wall Connector, not sure if the charging profile changes at all when this one is in use, but the inter-Wall-Connector WiFi communications to coordinate charging among up to 16 of them could be pretty complicated to detect.

4. My Sense apparently started picking up my home charging sessions sometime in December 2019, with the TeslaFi.com site keeping track of all my charges, which could help cross-reference what is seen here. I drove 25,000 miles in 2019 alone, so a lot of charging data.

I have now generated a 80 MB PDF copy of all 700 charges I could send your way privately if you want, if that’s helpful. My permission to look at my records was given earlier in this same thread here.

thanks for this, @pbraren. The circumstances you highlighted definitely complicate things a bit. Will pass this along to the DS team in case there’s something here they can utilize.

Thank you!

I’m seeing this too.
It’s missing a lot of the Tesla charging.

During these winter months, I’m trying something different. The first 2-3 kWh of a Tesla charging session seems to be spent warming the battery (lots of kW, little charging MPH.

So, I’m thinking it may be more efficient to only charge every 2-3 days. Sense then likes to tell me “You’re energy use spikes by 115% yesterday compared to your average weekday”.

I guess it would be my personal preference if the Tesla was not included in this type of stat/analysis.

Hi there, my wife and I have had a Model 3 for about 6 months now. At one point the car had been detected, but then never seen again.

I deleted the “device” and now it hasn’t been seen in months even though we charge daily at 120v.

Any tips/tricks to get my car detected?

@colin.fitzgerald2 this is something that Data Science is working on. I’m going to follow-up with our EV team and see their thoughts on this. Consistency in charging time and frequency should help Sense find your EV.

Mainly speculation here without your home data, but did you previously charge your EV at 240V when it was detected @colin.fitzgerald2?

Nope we’ve always charged from the same plug and even roughly at the same time every day. We’ve never changed chargers or outlets even.

The reason it’s so weird is that Sense has worked phenomenally well for us otherwise. This is really one of maybe 5 devices it hasn’t detected.

@colin.fitzgerald2 interesting. The EV won’t be detected through a 120v charger as of yet. Since I’m only speculating here, can Data Science take a look at your home data to dive into this a bit more?