Does adding Make/Model of appliances actually help with detection - speed or accuracy?

I’m wondering if all the effort I’m putting in to naming my devices and using their proper model number is actually doing anything - it doesn’t appear to be.

1 Like

Statistically speaking, yes, it helps.

My understanding is that it might not help with your specific devices until there is a Sense-wide device model that establishes itself with sufficient statistical confidence … and at that point the device model (signature) would still have to emerge from your mains electrical waveform, i.e. “match” … before (I suspect) Sense might go looking in the device list you’ve entered. Do not think of it as “I entered the device make and model so why isn’t my Sense hunting for it?”

For devices that Sense finds and names auto-magically, the make/model you designate there certainly gets back to the Sense team and can help them with refining the ML to match particular device types and, ultimately, models. Think of that as more like “It’s a 4kW water heater vs a 2kW model” than “It’s a white fridge vs stainless steel”.

I don’t think it helps with basic model creation or detection speed / accuracy. But I’m sure it helps guide Sense as they invest in refining models based on specific devices they see used in their customer base.

Here’s the announcement about the introductions of Home Details:

Under Settings > My Home > Home Details, you can now tell Sense more about your home, as well as filling in information about which devices you have. This information will help Sense improve device detection over time with some helpful clues, but in particular the postal code and square footage information will be used for the similar homes comparison mentioned above. Over time we do plan on using more than just square footage and postal code, so this is just a starting point.

I’m hoping that some time they link it to this database to add in Always On info

https://drpower.hea.com:9443/#/home

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.