Have any questions? Ask Sense! - May 2019

Thanks!

I’m collecting questions for April, so ask away!

1 Like

Awesome, send my thanks to the team @RyanAtSense!

2 Likes

Why does Sense only detect one leg of a device? Or show the wattage from one leg even if both of a device have been detected?

On 240 device, the electricity comes near equally from both legs but sense commonly only see one side. Sometimes later (not always) it will detect the other leg as a different device.

That’s a great question.

Keep them coming, guys!

I actually have a question that would go along with @samwooly1 question or maybe its an idea or suggestion. I know that some 240V devices like EV’s in particular are hard to detect and accurately track because of the slow ramp down time at the end of the charge cycle so my question is it possible to have the device tracking software use both phases to better track when a 240V device has actually turned off for those devices that use two phases?

1 Like

I believe it already does use both legs @mike_gessner.
I don’t quite understand how though. I had my first water heater detected (very first detection) by both legs at 4600 watts but then after removed and another installed it was one leg at a time.
My heat pump which I thought was one leg is actually both and has always been that way.
Why both legs are caught from the beginning and others aren’t, who knows? But apparently the software does look at both sides.
Where I think there is a problem is when it does see and detect one leg and lets use my heat strips for example; I had one leg, 7500 watts detected and that is half. When these strips at 7500 came on, the timeline increased by 15,000. So sense could see both legs but detected one and placed the other into “other”. Looking at the timeline it appears to be one device because it is. Sense does not but should be seeing this and recognizing it. This is a big failure I feel.

I guess what I am asking is can it be tracked by using the software to determine that the device is still on because both legs are increasing or decreasing by the same amount and only drop the device i.e. if the current drops by a specified amount meaning it was unplugged that way it can track it until it has completely stopped it charging cycle. it appears that once my car enters that slow ramp down cycle sense says my EV has turned off even though it is still charging and that slow ramp down cycle can take in excess of an hour to complete but if there was a way to keep tracking until it drops over a specified amount or has completely ramped down and both phases drop.

This is common for me on two devices. My washing machine and dishwasher. My washing machine will have a slight pause when the drum stops turning one direction and start the other. I bet about 30 on and off notifications for each wash cycle.
Not exactly the same @mike_gessner but I feel very closely related.

New User ---- Question

Is Devices display real time or historical some sort of recent average?

For some time on a quiet afternoon i have monitored:
on Devices: Always On = 968w
on Now: Current usage 634w

thanks

1 Like

Hello @d26brait and welcome to the forum.
This thread is for compiling questions to “ASK SENSE” where they pick a few and then address them. So you won’t get an answer from support here but the manager @RyanAtSense will probably reply.
Understanding how “ALWAYS ON” is calculated would answer your question. There is one member in particular that has addressed always on numerous times and very knowledgeable about it. You can search his name and the subject to find answers but here is a thread that might be helpful.
Always on- real time? - #2 by kevin1

How much progress been made on detecting variable speed motors? Is there still an emphasis on detecting these types of devices and we closer to having Sense identify these workloads?

1 Like

On this topic of EV ramp downs is there any plans to do post processing of say the last 24 hours?

It certainly is very nice you have real-time data for when devices are on/off, but also having accurate trends is important. I think particularly EVs could benefit from a “second look pass” to fix the ramp down. I wonder if there are other devices that could be made more accurate (or identifiable) in post processing rather than real-time.

2 Likes

Thanks for the new questions. I’ll do what I can to get some answers together and release a video in early April.

1 Like

How much power does sense (the company) use. Is any of it solar?

1 Like

That’s a great question. Unfortunately, we have three-phase power in our building, so we can’t get Sense-level insights. And no solar as it’s not an owned building. We’re in downtown Cambridge, MA. There’s not much solar here!

So now that i am getting more familiar with my Sense monitor and better at navigating the app I do have a question about the two. I know that sense monitors both phases coming in but when we look at the Now screen in the app and look at the graph we are actually seeing the additive of the two phases instead of seeing them separated like sense does. Is it possible to give us a third option to go along with the bubbles and the additive graph that we look at? I would like to see the two phases separated and I say this because just like its been said here many times its like listening to a room full of people BUT if we separate the two phases it will make it easier for us to “hear” what is going on. For example dryers use 220V but the phases are split and do different jobs in the dryer i.e. heating elements, drum motor, pump for water in dryers that have a steam option, humidistat for dryers that have that option and for other electronics. In my case it would be nice to see what the individual phases of my EV charging looks like. Sorry for the long drawn out question.

2 Likes

Will my led lights ever be detected and does uninterrupted power supply prevent anything from being detected that plugged to it?

1 Like

Thanks for the new questions. I’m in the process of shooting for this round, but watch for the new post in April soliciting more questions.

1 Like

Sorry Ryan but I have one last add. Can you update us on time of day/demand pricing? Many of us pay different prices for electricity depending on when we use it and it would be great to enter this information into Sense.

3 Likes

With the ongoing problems many of us have been having with “Always On” I’d like to know EXACTLY how it’s calculated.
Simple question
How exactly is always on calculated?
And yes, I’ve read all the explanations from other users but I’d like Sense to answer this one.

1 Like