How Accurate is Sense? Summary of Sense Accuracy Measurements vs Utilities

More thoughts on your installation:

1. I helped my brother install his SENSE unit. For some unknown reason the past homeowner wired the HVAC directly to the outside meter. The only location to place the CT clamps so that he could measure all his power was above the meter on the incoming feeds. Check your outside installation and see if you have a similar issue where someone may have tapped the service cables before the breaker panel. You will need a professional electrician to install the CT clamps.

Could you post some pictures of your electric service as it enters and leaves the electric meter.

1. I believe you when say that your CT clamps are fully closed, but if you want to make certain, then tape the ends closed. I used masking tape to ensure my clamps remained closed.

2. You have two loose unterminated wires (a black and a red) on the left and 2 unterminated wires on the right (a black and a white) with copper showing. Please add a wire nut or tape the ends for safety. You do not want those wires coming in contact with any live part of the panel. This is a safety issue.

3. I don’t think you have the space, but I found when I was able to center and place my CT clamps at a 90-degree angle to the incoming wires, that I got a slightly closer reading to the power company numbers. I documented my experience about 5 years ago in this forum.

2 Likes