I really want to like Sense but,

I know that given some detective work I can figure out what each of my devices do.
I’ve done a little of that with a Kasa smart plug. I could run around my house with a kill-a-watt measuring each plug seeing what the load is, or I could turn off all the breakers in my house and then do it on a circuit by circuit basis with sense, but isn’t that what sense is supposed to offer.

Sense isn’t advertised as buy Sense, hook it up and then do a a whole bunch of measurements to figure out what is using the power. It’s billed an automated system that will learn/figure out what the devices are.

Sense never said, buy a bunch of smart plugs and we can get the power from the smart plug app and report it to you. It implied it would figure out the devices in your house and report it to you.

I’m sure some people with the “right” electrical devices have had great luck with sense. Others may have taken the time to do a complete electrical audit in their house to figure out their vampire loads. (Something I would argue you could do with or without sense). Reality is I started out with a Kill-A-Watt and 3 Aeon home energy monitors. One on the Mains and One on each of my AC systems, after 2 years with Sense I really don’t have much better information from Sense than I started with. I’ve waited 2 years optimistically hoping it would get better. Sure the GUI is nice, but 10 or so Kasa plugs would have given me as much if not more information for the same amount of money.

After 2 years this more often than not is what I see when I open sense.

I bought it, I’ll continue to use it, but I’m sorry, at least for me the reality didn’t live up to the hype. I really want to be a fan of sense. Truly I do, but at the end of the day if left me wanting more than it delivered.

2 Likes

Did you take up @RyanAtSense on his offer to look into your issues in more detail?

Your situation seems abnormal to me as well - I’ve been a sense user for ~11 months now and have had a much more successful result vs you, which would seem counter intuitive.

2 Likes