Making Sense of 'Always On' - Chapter 2 - 'Always On' Blips

@duanetiemann,
I find it interesting because I don’t think I have actually seen my Always On ever go screwy on the bubble display, but clearly there are some anomalies when viewed via the downloaded version of the data. Looking at my data, it looks like spikes, both downward and upward in the downloaded Always On are visible artifacts of underlying Sense “real data” problems. Virtually all my downward spikes are indicators of data dropouts. Upward spikes show up in places where I saw “negative total usage” due to my Sense probe flipping out.

I think what happens is that for the downloaded hourly value, Sense averages the total Always On accumulated for the hour, and in the process highlights missing data and erroneous data. Not to say that your situation is the same.

Here’s my history - note all the spikes. Many do coincide with data dropouts and other errors.

Below is a more detailed view of my Always On history between Jan 18 and mid-Aug 18, annotated with all the largest Sense vs. utility errors I found back in this thread.

https://community.sense.com/t/does-anybody-have-any-cool-graphs-or-analytics-using-sense-data-please-share/3302/3

• 58 hours with significant data gaps
  • 36 hours with negative total usage
  • 125 hours with significant differences between Sense and my utility for other reasons

There is definitely some correlation here between Always On hourly irregularities and Sense / utility discrepancies.