Monitoring Air Conditioner Performance

@JustinAtSense,
This is more in the Ecobee camp, but I bet they could train on thermostat system mode, ambient temperature for the HVAC air handler / evaporator coil, input temperature (temperature at thermostat), and some form of system runtime (how long has system been in that system mode) vs. output register temperature, to predict future register temperature. Then if the output register temperature deviated very far from the predicted temperature, one would know there is an issue.

I have another partial heat spell worth of data for my tracking. Things are looking reasonably good, though there is a big difference in output temperature performance between my upstairs and downstairs units. A few possible reasons:

• The refrigerant line for upstairs is far longer than downstairs (100 ft vs 40ft).
  • The upstairs unit operates in my attic, which has much greater temperature extremes than the grace where the downstairs unit is located. When cooling, the upstairs unit is in a much warmer ambient temperature. Even though the vents and cooling line are well insulated, I’m sure there is leakage.
  • The upstairs compressor unit is smaller.
  • The upstairs unit also probably starts with slightly warmer intake air since heat rises.

2 Likes