Multiple Acces Points / Wifi Devices

@jay.m.basen @samheidie: Jay, Sam, I wanted to thank you for your Wifi tutorial earlier in this thread. I went and talked to our IT person at work, and he also recommended switching to a single SSID and the Netgear Orbi. He thought the xFinity pods would have limited range because they are small and they can only fit small antennas in them.

So I’ve switched to a stand-alone modem (Arris SB6190) plus the Netgear Orbi (3 stations total). And both coverage and speed measurements are much better than before, and with a single SSID. I returned all the other gear to xFinity and Amazon, and got a SmartThings non-Wifi hub for the Z-Wave / Zigbee items. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m glad this worked out for you. I think you’ll be much happier with a Wi-Fi network that operates on a single SSID.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

A bit late to this party and will re-post if I don’t get responses. I am running a segmented mesh network thus a few ssid’s for security purposes. If Sense recognition of devices is optimized by monitoring device signatures in a LAN along with electronic signatures on the main power panel, the ability to enhance Sense skills would occur by providing the ability to monitor more than one SSID. I somewhat recently moved my Sense from a Home SSID to an IoT ssid which is pretty locked down and does not allow for communication to other home networks. Since that time my Sense has not found a lot of new devices, may not be unusual as maybe Sense has completed its real understanding of my home. This morning, I reassigned my Sense to my main home Network to see if device recognition changes. Interested in opinions or thoughts.

@dmelideo, this probably deserves a separate thread / topic. As long as Sense is connected to the Sense servers via whatever SSID you have it attached to, normal Sense AI detection should work just fine. Many users do attach their Sense to a 2.4GHz-only SSID and some do relegate it to an IoT VLAN.

But there are forms of “detection” other than Sense AI, which is based solely on power waveform transitions and underlying patterns in voltage/current phasing. Augmented forms of detection below do use packet data that comes via your home network and can be interrupted by having the Sense subnet separated from subject devices’ subnets.

1 Like