[Project] Fault Detection: Power Quality

3 posts were split to a new topic: How Many Cycles Does Power Quality Look For?

10 posts were split to a new topic: Power Quality Chart Not Updating - Dec 2022

3 posts were split to a new topic: Is This a Floating Neutral ? What the Problem?

Hi there. I have noticed some lights flickering periodically in my home and just happened to look at my sense app and saw this. Now of course this data is 2 weeks old so I am not sure if the dips are still occurring. Is there anyway to dig further into this ?
It is not allowing me to upload my screen shots but I had voltage dips down into the 80’s

Has this project been shut down? My PQ graph and historical data have not changed since March 4, 2023. The real time voltage is functional.

Please advise.

1 Like

@drp,

More info from Sense on what’s happening and wha to do in the more recent thread on this issues.

1 Like

I have a problem with my Voltage graph screenshot and I restore my sense device. I loss all my data and the date of my Power Quality not refresh actually . How updates this problems

I am having some very odd behaviors from the power quality. Last month, all of the sudden the graph went to this crazy view of spikes and dips. Then, on the 1st of Aug, it cleared itself up, now last night it went back to being crazy. Any ideas what is going on here?

1 Like

@phil.garver ,

Try power cycling your monitor using the breaker. Flip it off for at least 10 seconds. That seems to have helped the folks here with the same issue.

Read the part from @JamesDrewAtSense

Hello, I don’t think its a power quality issue. I have also tried to cycle the breaker / unit. I have multiple UPS (APC Smart UPS) in the house across each of the incoming power legs and I do not have issues or data logged matching the condition of this unit. It had also been operating fine until about a month and a half ago before it started this, cleared up, and then started again last night. I will see what support says…

Having tons of power quality issues at my location. Can anyone shine some light on what might be going on? I contacted my electric co-op to see if they could check out my service drop. Let me know what you think @JustinAtSense

Hi @adamchilders, welcome to the community ! @JustinAtSense isn’t at Sense any more. @JuliaAtSense is the community manager there, but I think she is out this week. Generally, power quality spikes/dips can stem from a number of issues - a weak neutral at your house or nearby (maybe due to poor screw on connection or corrosion), an undersized distribution transformer for your local cluster of homes using the transformer, or challenges by the utility in managing grid stability.

We have seen a few folks recently who saw an onset of spikes/dips that disappeared after they did a power cycle of their Sense monitor.

1 Like

To: @adamchilders
There are multiple past forum posts by different users on their experiences with Voltage dips/spikes. Use the SENSE forum ‘search’ feature and re-read their complete blog about “dips”, “spikes”, or “Power Quality”. There can be numerous reasons why you are seeing so many ‘dips’.

Here is an example from several years ago. Please keep us posted on your findings and your solution.

1 Like

Ok will do. I will also upload my raw data if anyone wants to check it out
power_quality_raw.csv (32.4 KB)

3 Likes

To: @adamchilders Another recent post in the SENSE forum with a similar voltage issue you are experiencing. See his picture and the solution.

2 Likes

I have tried adding screenshots to my post and when I upload the screenshot it shows in the preview window on the right, but when I try to actually post it says that embedded media is not allowed. Suggestions?

1 Like

Hello All

This is my second week of sense installation and just started looking at the sense labs data. Noticed under Power Quality that I have some high voltages registered. I do have an EV charger at home and am not sure if there is any correlation at this time. Comments are appreciated.

2 Likes

@gazunni , you are showing relatively few spikes and dips compared to most Sense users. You have two dips and only one spike over the past two weeks. Firing up a high wattage (level 2 / 240V) EV charger will typically cause an extended small droop in both the Legs (L1/L2) in your home for the length of the charge cycle and possibly an initial dip below the limits.

Did the utility repair fix the issue?