Sense monitor freezes and reboots

I have an 8kw ecosmart tankless water heater that whenever I turn it on, my sense monitor freezes until I shut the tankless water heater back off. After a couple minutes of the tankless water heater being off, the sense monitor will read normal again. Both sense and the tankless water heater are on different breakers. I have 2-ecosmart 6kw and 1-ecosmart 18kw tankless water heaters that work good and do not cause any interference with the sense monitor. What would cause the sense monitor to mess up with the 8kw water heater but not the other water heaters?

Interesting - I can’t say I’ve heard of this on the forums before.

When you say freezes - what do you mean? If you check the app, you just get the connecting 3 dots? Or monitor offline? Or something else

Do you have to power cycle the Sense to get it back, or does it come back on its own? You mention reboot in the title. Do you know if it is actually rebooting?
When it does come back, eventually do you have data during the time the tankless was on, or is that period blank on the power meter?

Two thoughts

• One - massive voltage drop when the tankless turns on causes the Sense to reboot. but one would think that you would see the effects of a big dip in other area’s of your home.

• Two - possible 2.4 GHz interference from that unit. Proximity wise, where is that water heater in relation to your Sense and the Access Point it connects. This also seems unlikely, but it is a possibility.

The question about data gaps may help narrow it down. If there are no data gaps, that means that the Sense is still on and collecting information, but its not able to connect to the internet at the moment you open the app.

If there are data gaps, then it would indicate that the unit itself is rebooting / having issues.

If testing this - keep in mind that when the Sense loses internet connectivity, and regains it without a power interruption in the middle, it can take some time for the data to back fill. So if you turn on tankless at 12:05, leave it on for 5 minutes, and then go check your app at 12:10, you may see a gap. But If you check at 2, I would think it would have filled in by then.

If you want to test the wifi connectivity, you can try downloading a basic wifi analyzer to your phone or laptop. Go stand near the Sense and take a look at what it says signal strengths are to any networks your device can see. Then turn on the tankless and check again.
If on a Mac laptop, you can even just option click on the wifi status icon in the menu bar and look at the RSSI and Noise levels.
Note you are specifically looking for 2.4 GHz readings. If your Phone/Laptop are connected at 5Ghz, you’ll want to ignore any readings you get for channels higher than 14.

It may sound dumb, but when taking these readings, make sure you are standing in the same spot and holding your device in the same orientation, and with your hand in the same place. Yes, your had can make a difference on wifi reception on a phone depending on your grip. And if your device is rotated differently, this can also impact readings.

1 Like

In addition to @ben initial response, I would definitely recommend reaching out to support (support@sense.com) to see what’s happening on our end of things.

Hello Justin,

i have discussed this issue with Jason (case # 187670) and we did not find any solution or course of action.

thanks
martin

JustinAtSense Community Manager
November 9

In addition to @ben initial response, I would definitely recommend reaching out to support (support@sense.com) to see what’s happening on our end of things.

Hello Ben,

I have attached a screenshot video showing what the app does when it freezes. I also attached a picture showing the gaps in the graph history when it freezes.

When this happens, I wait a couple minutes and the sense monitor goes back to normal and I do not have to power cycle the sense monitor in order to get it to work again. Once it goes back to normal, the data from the “freezing” never uploads and is blank, it shows as a flat line and no power being used.

I don’t think that voltage drop is the issue because nothing else seems to be effected like you mentioned.
As far as the 2.4ghz interference, the sense monitor is about 20 feet from the tankless water heater (2 walls in between them) and about 15’ from the access point (no walls in between the access point and the tankless water heater). I have an 18kw tankless water heater and a 6kw tankless water heater within 10’ of the sense monitor (1 wall in between them) but neither one causes issues with the sense.

thanks
martin

ben
November 8

Interesting - I can’t say I’ve heard of this on the forums before.

When you say freezes - what do you mean? If you check the app, you just get the connecting 3 dots? Or monitor offline? Or something else

Do you have to power cycle the Sense to get it back, or does it come back on its own? You mention reboot in the title. Do you know if it is actually rebooting?
When it does come back, eventually do you have data during the time the tankless was on, or is that period blank on the power meter?

Two thoughts

• One - massive voltage drop when the tankless turns on causes the Sense to reboot. but one would think that you would see the effects of a big dip in other area’s of your home.

• Two - possible 2.4 GHz interference from that unit. Proximity wise, where is that water heater in relation to your Sense and the Access Point it connects. This also seems unlikely, but it is a possibility.

The question about data gaps may help narrow it down. If there are no data gaps, that means that the Sense is still on and collecting information, but its not able to connect to the internet at the moment you open the app.

If there are data gaps, then it would indicate that the unit itself is rebooting / having issues.

If testing this - keep in mind that when the Sense loses internet connectivity, and regains it without a power interruption in the middle, it can take some time for the data to back fill. So if you turn on tankless at 12:05, leave it on for 5 minutes, and then go check your app at 12:10, you may see a gap. But If you check at 2, I would think it would have filled in by then.

If you want to test the wifi connectivity, you can try downloading a basic wifi analyzer to your phone or laptop. Go stand near the Sense and take a look at what it says signal strengths are to any networks your device can see. Then turn on the tankless and check again.
If on a Mac laptop, you can even just option click on the wifi status icon in the menu bar and look at the RSSI and Noise levels.
Note you are specifically looking for 2.4 GHz readings. If your Phone/Laptop are connected at 5Ghz, you’ll want to ignore any readings you get for channels higher than 14.

It may sound dumb, but when taking these readings, make sure you are standing in the same spot and holding your device in the same orientation, and with your hand in the same place. Yes, your had can make a difference on wifi reception on a phone depending on your grip. And if your device is rotated differently, this can also impact readings.

(Attachment Video.mov is missing)

I’m having the same problem waiting on tech support now. Sense runs great with any device in house but a few seconds after I turn the hot water on it drops out

Hello,

Do you also have an ecosmart tankless water heater that is causing the problem or is it a different brand? What size of water heater is it?

Also I have a sub panel on opposite side of house that has well pump, outside portion of ac and some barn lights. Line of sight 40ft what can I do? Do you have a number that I can call

The problem only arises on the tankless, any suggestions

I don’t have any ideas. I’ve tried a couple different things and the problem continues. What brand of tankless water heater is causing the problem for you?