SmartThings Integration

Would really love to see integration with Samsung SmartThings. This would allow further integration with things like ActionTiles, and much quicker triggering for other smarthome devices (rather than relying on IFTTT).

Assuming there’s an API endpoint in any way at all, and supports something like oauth, it should be easy enough to write a device handler (One simple home system. A world of possibilities. | SmartThings)

Thanks!

67 Likes

To pile onto this… while I’d like the same, I’d prefer to see webhooks first to go along with my readonly API request. I would suspect a lot of your customers are technically oriented and will do some neat things, documenting them for others to implement. The integration with other platforms (Zapier / Smartthings / IFTTT) would be easier.

2 Likes

Yes, this and that too.

yup. my only thought would be ST integration would provide more bang for the buck, and anyone so inclined would just figure out the API stuff from that Device Handler. =)

2 Likes

To up the stakes a little - Neurio has an open API and a smartthings user (@yvesracine) has a ST handler for it (paid). Neurio as a product seems to be decaying a little, so there’s that, but they have had an open API.

1 Like

When you work on a SmartThings integration, go ahead and make it compatible with Hubitat (hubitat.com). Hubitat will run code written for SmartThings with only minor changes.

SmartThings users should go look at Hubitat. It resolves a lot of the issues with SmartThings (outages anyone?) and provides local execution of all devices.

4 Likes

I’m going to move this into Product Wishlist. Remember, be sure to Like the original post so we can better track who wants a feature!

3 Likes

Would really love for Sense to somehow work with ActionTiles!!!

3 Likes

It would be great for Sense to integrate with SmartThings for use with ActionTiles, but also so that Sense can identify additional devices.

1 Like

+1 would love to be able to wrap power usage into my smartthings view.

1 Like

Yes please do this asap. I have 30+ devices attached to my SmartThings hub so it would probably help significantly in detecting my devices. Feel free to use me as a beta user for this :wink: I’d be more than happy to.

Looks like it’s been done in smart things. Creates your sense devices and total, other , always on. Also works in smart tiles. Hope Sense can make one of their own official ones .

Do you have a link? I can’t locate the integration you’re referring to.

Yes link please

requires installing node.js on an always on PC/android and installing a DTH and ST Smart App. I have tried it however for me the devices are not getting created. Please try it and let me know if it works for you. Here it is:

Please let me know if it works for you.

1 Like

The killer app for me with SmartThings would be on device detection in Sense. I’ve got a pretty big house with a ton of lights on dimmers and if Sense could just take control of SmartThings and turn off and on Master Bathroom Mirror Light" (and every other SmartThings device) a few times, record the signature, and create a Sense device with that name that would make detection and naming so much faster and easier. Once everything already in SmartThings is recorded in Sense presumably detecting the remaining devices in the house would be dramatically easier for Sense’s machine learning too.

Cheers!

Dave

5 Likes

That would definitely be great and we’re looking into incorporating with home automation hubs. That said, it is a lot more complicated than it sounds. The biggest issue is that SmartThings doesn’t necessarily output wattage data, so we’re not getting ground truth directly from it. This means that we have to rely on the precision of its on/off events. Sense needs near-perfect precision to link sub-second events (what you see in the Power Meter) to devices in your home. If these on/off tags are misaligned, learning becomes very difficult. Is this insurmountable? No, but there are some other integrations in the pipe that we think will help more in the short term (and help us improve device detection as a whole). Keep watching because we’ll have some news soon.

3 Likes

I am seeing several different discussion threads in this blog (and some other blogs) that relate to the SmartThings integration. I wanted to clarify some of the discussion points so that we are limiting the topic to a single area.

We have users wanting to:

1. Link Samsung SmartThings “On/Off” module statuses to SENSE in order to help with the SENSE AI device detection process.
  2. Link SmartThings and SENSE via a more intuitive IFTTT link. (Example: Turn off certain devices if the power wattage exceeds some level.)
  3. Have SENSE send selected data to SmartThings. Display SENSE data in the SmartThings APP.
  4. Have SENSE gather wattage information from SmartThing plugs/devices in a similar fashion that is already being worked on [MODERATOR EDIT - Private Beta information]

At this moment I would be happy if the software development team would just focus on item #4 (Gathering wattage information). The other items listed would be nice to have, but may require more programming.

I have the following SmartThings devices that return a wattage number. I can view them in the ActionTiles PC Web display or on my SmartThings phone APP. I would prefer that this data be integrated into the SENSE data so that I have a whole house view of my wattage in one APP.

SmartThings devices that I have installed in my home that monitor wattage:

1. Iris Smart Plug:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Iris-120-Volt-White-Smart-Plug/999925330
  2. Centralite Series 3 – Model 3200 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CKKVX30/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  3. Enerwave ZWN-333M-PLUS Smart Plug https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WVRVBRM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  4. Enerwave ZW15RM-PLUS Smart Outlet https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WVRXX2Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  5. Zooz Z-Wave Plus Smart Plug ZEN06
    https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/collections/zooz/products/zooz-z-wave-plus-smart-plug-zen06

A display of my ActionTiles (linked to the SmartThings Hub) with wattage information is shown below. Please consider pulling wattage data from these devices (through the SmartThings Hub) into the SENSE APP. Thanks.

3 Likes

This is really, really important for Product Wishlist threads. Thanks :+1:

1 Like

I’d be very interested in an officially supported integration to Smartthings as well. I actually have two smartthings, one in my home and another in my shop. The workshop is on a sub-panel from my homes main panel where I run Sense. So some consideration to allowing more than one smartthings to interact would be appreciated, that it would use the hub information when interacting with devices.