Solar production vs from grid

On the solar tab I’ve got a suggestion. Maybe I’m not reading it correctly or understand how it works, or have a utility company that’s different than others.
When I’m producing solar I see it and it’s accurate compared to my solar edge app as well. I understand that “usage” is what my home has used.
The “from grid” I understand as well it’s my total use through my breaker box. The “to grid” is my issue.
My bi-directional meter gives the utility company the difference between last month and this month and that kw usage what I pay them for… If my difference is a negative balance then that’s what the “to grid” should represent and they credit me back about 1/3 of the cost of a kw I’d pay for.
I wish the calculations on my solar tab would represent that instead. If I know and input the date of start of service to the utility then it’s a simple calculation based on what sense already has in the spread sheet.
Maybe other utility companies do it differently if so having a way to change in my app for my type would be nice. As far as I know this is how Ameren in Missouri does it.
Thanks for listening.

2 Likes

What you are looking for is Net Usage energy vs. “to grid” and “from grid” which are the billing inputs if one does not have net metering. There’s a good reason for Sense to break these out specifically, because both of those cannot be calculated from your Solar Production and Total Usage data, unlike Net Usage.

But I agree, it would be nice if in the next step Sense would adjust the solar graphs and displays based on your treatment of solar billing (a switch in the pricing setup tab).

2 Likes