What's new in v28 and Web App v8.5: Home Energy Notifications

Thanks Ryan, I missed that. It’s working as expected now.

1 Like

You need to nightlight “usage” with your finger

1 Like

That somewhat explains it. I reset a month ago so have less than 2 months of data. But when I first upgraded all of it was working so doesn’t explain how it would work at all if it needed that time .

Got a notification @RyanAtSense
The reset you handled must have done the trick.
Thank You

1 Like

Ha, thanks, @samwooly1. Looks like we have a PEBKAC.

We just pushed out a fix for this.

Some of these same notifications would actually be awesome to have for solar production as well. Just thought I’d add that here since the solar survey thread is closed.

@RyanAtSense
Out of the 6 notifications, I only get the third one “New Peak”.
Any idea why the others aren’t triggered?

I still don’t get it .
The big picture is you make the whole app. more user friendly .
I simply can’t be the only person constantly running into road blocks . And In just about every part of your App.
I have no doubt you’ve done your best to improve how the thing senses more things . And finds new ways to save you money .
But if it was me and I wanted to boost sales .
And I don’t want to spend a lot of time answering probably what seems like stupid questions from the likes of me .
Then I would make the whole thing more user friendly first . And THEN go on with improvements ( and of course when you make an improvement you make that user friendly to .)

1 Like

I’m curious what you find not to be user friendly about the app?
I haven’t had any trouble with how the app works, my problem is having a feature or something that doesn’t work like it’s supposed to.

2 Likes

Yes I find that of course . But other wise the list is to long . So I guess what I will do is work with my wife who is a research Analyst
And dose this kind of thing everyday all day . And we will give you a list. And we will of course will try and give you the ones that would be the most likely people would not understand and go from there .
But I can say the last two times I asked her for help she couldn’t figure it out . So I would think that would give most people a clue that somethings up .
The last thing for me witch I would think you’d leave obvious ( but what do I know maybe I’m below average for people who don’t get this stuff)
Is being able to take off something you told sense was correct, when it wasn’t.
I most have thought what sense had said was my micro wave was when it wasn’t . I know there’s a place where you can say your not sure . So no doubt I ran the micro wave , saw the graph go up . And so assumed that most be it . But then later I would see that it had been on when I clearly was not using it . So in less it’s in the “always on column” I most have got it wrong .
But to be honest with you . I’m getting tired of trying to figure the thing out . I realize that it can take a few months for Sense to discover everything. But I’ve had it for over a month now . And Microwaves are a pretty common thing people use . So one would think that would kinda be one of the things at the top of its list to figure out .
Anyway my wife and I will take “ screenshots “ of everything we find , and send it you or tech. Support .
At least see where I at least come from . I spent almost 40 thousand bucks on solar power and a whole home battery system. I obviously want to get everything out of what I just invested in .

Hate to hear how unhappy you are with the monitor and especially the app.
It’s definitely a product that is t for everyone but that goes with the territory when it comes to any fairly new device or technology.
They do offer a 60 day return, so you are just halfway into that timeframe.
If you can’t see yourself ever being satisfied with Sense, I’d urge to take advantage of the return.
It’s a work in progress but is r always taken that way. I do feel tlike that is their fault in the way it’s presented.

As I noted previously, your usage changes just might not be significant enough to warrant notifications. I really don’t think anything is wrong on your end. I too haven’t gotten any notifications. I expect them to start rolling in come November though when I start running the heat.

@thad9 Your comments on lack of user friendliness are surprising to hear. I actually hear the opposite quite commonly (that the Sense app is very user friendly) and see it borne out in reviews.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean here though. There is no functionality to tell Sense that it’s correct. You can delete detection devices but you can neither confirm detections or teach Sense to detect. This isn’t because we just don’t want to build those features, but because they just wouldn’t be altogether useful. I recommend checking this blog out if you haven’t already: The "Training" Challenge and How You Can Help - Sense Blog

I would also encourage you to reach out to the Support team. They can take a deeper look at your data and see what’s happening in your home.

1 Like

I’ve had some pretty big changes in my opinion, 10% or more.
Is it possible to share what the thresholds are?

The change in comparison should have triggered as it keeps disappearing for the state comparison.
All Sense users is still there but Kentucky comes and goes

I’m very confused about what you’re saying re: state comparison. Are you saying that the state comparison line is randomly disappearing? That’s…odd.

Also, the home comparison notification is based on three months of data. If you haven’t had Sense installed for three months, you won’t get a notification.

1 Like

So from what I under from you and I guess that blog , witch quit frankly I found useless .
Is that I can go look at the power usage and that I can see how much it’s using ( that make sense at least ) and then I can turn something on and off and see that the power usage goes up . But from there there’s nothing I can do . I just have to wait for Sense to discover what it is . And then it will automatically say that’s what it is . So while it’s been over a month now . I should wait another say 2-3 months and then see if Sense is working correctly yet ?
So this most mean I guess that even though microwave’s are very common they most each have a different electoral signal and Sense needs time to figure out what that is ?

28.1 has been released for iOS with a couple bug fixes, including the issue noted above where Usage screen text wasn’t showing in dark mode.

You’re asking a good question - there are a couple kinds of microwave ovens and their patterns look very different. Traditional microwaves have a big high voltage electrical transformer connected to the plug in the wall. That transformer feeds the magnetron that makes the microwave energy/waves. Many newer microwave ovens use power inverters to create the high voltage needed to power the magnetron. A microwave oven with inverter technology relies on inverters as the main power supply instead of magnetic coils or transformers.

Transformers are “easy” for Sense to detect. Inverters are much harder fro Sense to “see”, plus they don’t look like a microwave - they look like a generic power supply that could be in any high powered electronic device. It might be good to look into which type of microwave you have.

Yes, if you look at the screenshots I’ve uploaded, you’ll see the first shows Kentucky and all Sense users.
The second shot, in the post about yours, only shows all users, Kentucky is gone

Just checked app and it’s appeared again.

Interesting. I’ll pass along to the team.