Hi folks, a number of people have asked about how long it takes Sense to detect things, and what they should expect. I wanted to post my history in a graphical form starting from a complete Device Reset I did on Aug 2, 2017. Detection was probably a little less refined back then, but still worked reasonably well in my house, though just like mileage, your results could vary greatly. The chart below shows the first detection of each device that Sense found, in terms of the number of days after my reset.
Three things to notice.
- Yes, there is a device called Deleted Device. That’s a name I added for devices that were detected, then detected and now show up without Names in the export files. Just to be clear, some devices that I have deleted also have names in this graph.
- I deleted a bunch of devices around day 514, but many were quickly rediscovered under new names that came direct from the crowdsourced names, rather than my naming. Hence the repletion of similar sounding devices.
- Some devices that were detected later were actually found quite quickly by Sense - the Power Washer, Saw and second Vacuum were “found” within a day of actual usage, I just hadn’t used them until later in the reset cycle. The same goes for seasonal stuff like AC units - they don’t get found until they see some regular usage.
ps: White Lightning is our Tesla Model S and Tesla is our Model 3.