California utilities & billing

I put this under gen tech, sorry if its in the wrong spot, but I learned something that may apply to others…

so, the background, I got solar in Oct 2018, PTO Nov 2018, Sense Dec 2018… I’m in the Southern CA Edison territory, and going solar changed me to time-of-use rates from the tier rates I was on (but that was going to happen by Oct 2019 anyway)… since I got my PTO, I’ve not had a straight bill since… either short or over on billing days, 5+ days incorrectly estimated, and wrong recording of solar export (although I’ve not made an issue of it since <10% off in their favor)…

so, my last bill from SCE was 02-14-2019, and all the website says is that data has “been delayed”… otherwise, I can login to the website, but no estimate or anything… so once the march bill was over due by a week, I began calling SCE for answers… all they could tell me was that it was being worked on… I asked to speak with a supervisor, still no answers, just “being worked on” by “special dept”… so I asked to speak with that dept, no, people in that dept don’t take calls… so I’ve been calling every week since then and trying to get somewhere with a solution… somewhere along the way, they told me that someone is having to calculate my data by hand, because the “system” was ignoring data being sent from my meter… so I got a rainforest EAGLE-200 to get my own copy from the meter… as I discovered, the meter was leaving huge gaps in the data from my own meter… called again, they looked, meter is determined “bad” and they sent someone to replace it… so since the new meter, perfect data from the meter to my EAGLE-200… so I have my copy, and I keep records daily from PV & meter since my install in Oct 2018…

so its been a month since new meter and still no bills or data on their website… still making calls every week, nothing new… so a couple weeks back, I file a complaint with the CA Public Utilities Commission… that kicks off a barrage of calls from PUC & SCE to me… now I have all the attention, but still no solutions, ETA or explainations why… but I did learn something very interesting that I never knew…

according to the PUC, all utilities in CA have 3mo to send a bill… AND they can only bill 3mo back… any further than 3mo, and they have to eat it…

so, I’ve gotten the PUC on SCE’s back, and I now have a contact at SCE who is responsible for a solution and my account “repair”… I can’t call customer service any more and must only work with my “rep” in this case, but the main thing I was trying to share was the 3mo rule… to others in CA, if you should have issues like mine, this is the basic “rule” that the utilities have to live by…

4 Likes