Can I 'tell' sense what a device is?

I have a spa with 3 motors and a heater. I see when motor 1 comes on (that was detected as a ‘pump’), but the other two motors haven’t shown up.

When the heater comes on, I know because the usage goes from ~300w to 4k. I know this is the heater, but there doesn’t seem to be a way for me to point out that spike and tell Sense that, “Hey, this is my spa heater.”

Do I just have to wait for Sense to do it’s magic and rename or is there a way for me to manually add/define a device?

1 Like

Unfortunately @MarkK
You’ll have to wait. One good thing is Sense usually does really well with heating elements. I have a feeling that when Sense does detect your spa heater that it will think it’s a water heater. If that does happen then you will want to quickly properly name it or Sense May rename it’s for you to something that is incorrect.
While it may seem that Sense is not detecting something you are seeing so easily, it could be very close to detection for some time before it commits.
I’ve had things detected that when they finally did pop up, there was months of data in the history for the device. Showing me that Sense has identified it much earlier but for whatever reason, waited to confirm it as a detection.

1 Like

There’s a similar parallel post to yours @MarkK. It may not seem obvious at first but what you and the other poster(s) are asking is all about “training”.

You may find reading that whole thread enlightening. Yours is a common question. My best-practice answer is currently: think lazy; use a smartplug.

1 Like

I don’t think @MarkK will be able to use a smart plug for this as they are usually 240.
I’ll be happy when the HS240 hits market

1 Like

True. I was answering the question from the general idea of “Can I train Sense?” rather than the specific case and getting at the fact, along with the linked thread, that even with smartplug training Sense can (will) have a hard time identifying devices.

I’ve been nudging for a 220v installable smart module for a year now, still haven’t seen any announcements…is “when the HS240 hits the market” actually planned/announced and I missed it?

The above replies are correct. It’s not yet possible at this time.

This thread is worth reading: Why can't you train Sense?

1 Like

No @andy, it’s something on my wishlist

1 Like

Thanks, everyone.

As if by magic, my Sense saw Heater 1 overnight which is actually my spa.

I can’t use a 220v plug for it because it’s hardwired into the electric panel.

1 Like

That’s true of most 220v “devices” in any home, so what’s needed is either a “smart circuit breaker” that can talk to Sense or a device that can be inserted in the wiring. Since there are a LOT of breaker panel types out there, I’d favor the “wire in line” device, which could be universal.

It would be really easy for the TP-LINK folks to make such a thing, because they already have a 240v Smart Plug for European sockets…mostly a minor re-packaging and the approvals. Unfortunately, they don’t seem to think this is a big enough market. I was hoping the Sense folks could persuade them.

1 Like

I like the idea and have thought of a module that could have more than one set of CT clamps for circuits that would communicate with Sense

Very cool idea, and much more useful than my simple “smart module” idea. It would of course be somewhat more complex (multiple sensings going on at a time, rather than just one) and more costly than a single in-line module (which does of course have a single coil built in).

I “sense” a business opportunity here ((-;).

I’m okay with spending more on components and modules dedicated to Sense. With the cost of the monitor, a couple HS110’s and a couple HS300’s, I’ve got less than $500 in it now.
Not a lot of money considering I spend more than that on a monthly basis for electricity. I’m currently only monitoring only one of two locations.

1 Like

Just realized, this might be implemented as an in-line module version of a 240v HS300 (if there is such a thing). That would give 6 circuits, a huge help since many of us have about that number of 220v breakers.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.