CE Smart Plugs added?

Hey I’m new to Sene, just wondering if CE Smart Home Wi-Fi Smart Plugs can talk to sense? If they can’t could they be add in the future? Below are links to them:
https://www.cesmarthome.com/
https://www.costco.ca/CE-Smart-Home-Wi-Fi-Smart-Plug%2C-2-pack.product.100417575.html

Thanks

I don’t think the CE Smart Home WiFi Smartplugs meet the Sense criteria below. Only a select few WiFi smart plugs actually report power usage.

We know that these are not the only smart plugs on the market, but we chose to focus on them for a two main reasons: (1) they are both popular models in the market, and (2) they report not only on/off data but also wattage. If other smart plugs meet these criteria, we will consider adding support for them as well.

1 Like

I personally haven’t invested in any smart plugs yet, I’m still holding out for some nice in-wall wifi outlets with monitoring, but I digress. I looked at the HS110 but I’m finding this on a few sites:

Is this item really discontinued?

There are still a bunch of sources on Amazon, all at around 20$ per unit or a 2 pack for 38$

CE now has smart WiFi plugs with energy monitoring. If this now meets the criteria for Sense, do you think they’ll will be adding these to the list of smart plugs that can communicate with Sense?

Thanks

1 Like

If you want to see support, you should ‘like’ the original wishlist. A lot probably depends on how many other users ‘like’ this wishlist item and how close CE’s method of interfacing is to TP-Link’s or Wemo’s (each different) since development and support is costly for each new integration.

The integrations with Wemo and TP-Link devices are different and non-trivial, plus live in the monitor itself, and have to work in realtime. Since you are an electrical engineer, you’ll probably appreciate these posted details on the integrations:

You might also appreciate Jonah’s blog that gives more details about the operation of the monitor:

ps: many new power logging smart plugs have entered the market in the intervening year and one half since Sense initially added smart plug integrations.

Hoping there may be a future option to add this device to the plugs.

Don’t know where to go to put my support on the wish list to promote these.

@mike_richling, why buy smart plugs that don’t integrate when you can buy name-brand ones that integrate with Sense for 10$ per pop (really 40$ for 4) ? OK - maybe harder to find in Canada, if that is where you are located.

Kasa EP25s work well with Sense.

ps: If really do want the CE plugs, you can like the original post - the number of likes is a proxy for user demand in the WishList.

1 Like

I already have 12 of these along with a number other smart plugs and only got Sense a few months ago. Plus after going through a couple of years of have a smart home network and watching how the industry vendors come and go it would be prudent for Sense not rely on only one or two products to fill a need in their coverage.

In the meantime I will probably go looking for Tp-Link for where needed
And yup, up in Canada.

1 Like

I figured Canada based on the packaging… Sense also integrates with Wemo smart plugs and a range of Wiser smart plugs, outlets and switches. I don’t know whether those brands are distributed in Canada, but the Wiser stuff can be found at US big box retailers, Home Depot and Lowes.

ps: The Wiser integration and smart devices are relative new entrants and still have some rough edges, but I’m pretty sure they are here to stay. TP-Link/Kasa and Wemo are both long term survivors (at least so far).

Yeah, my problem is that I come into Sense with existing equipment… I’ve got Schlage locks, and I’ve got them to work with a twisted group of apps, water shutoff valves with flood sensors, an air monitoring/filtering system, remote smoke detector alarm notification (the detectors were hardwired into the house and would cost a fortune to change out), integrated remote audio and video management, the usual bunch of smart switches and outlets and then there is the whole camera system. All this while trying to minimize the load on my home networks.

Back in the day, I always told my clients (I was in computer network integration) that they should plan for a new app/system every 7 years (knowing it would take 15 to 20 years before the client would move on updating because it their product had become a legacy boat anchor). So I know I will have to toss everything (or parts at least) I have at some point but it would be nice to know vendors are adapting and staying current with emerging trends so I can plan and build my little world along the ‘right path’.

I think this whole area of power monitoring is going to become more interesting, increasingly popular as products come forward to make it stupid easy to use and as energy consumption becomes critical to our daily lives, people will want to have all the information to make choices to their daily lives.

Personally, I’m now just looking to identify the number of ‘Other’ and ‘Always On’ devices in my house.

1 Like

Here’s a thought on methodology to use one or two Roamer Sensecompatible smart plugs to best deploy smart plugs. Bottom line is that there is really only a big benefit to using smart plugs on devices that have a substantial swing in dynamic power usage AND also remain undetected by Sense. Devices that have minimal dynamic swing, but substantial Always On can be manually entered.

I hear where you are coming from, I feel a little let down by sense. Check out my post on July 2019: New to Sense? New to "machine learning"? - #4 by RyanAtSense
I offered a suggestion on how sense could keep raw data to train machine learning (which from what I gathered was there only priority) layer 1 and let customers tag/train sense on layer 2. I have been out of the loop since I got the vibe that sense was not interested in letting customers tag/identify items, they want sense to use ML to find items. From what I remember back in 2019, heat pumps or ECM motors can cause noise that makes it difficult for sense to identify other loads. I would love to tag every device/circuit. Hanging a CT clamp off my stove and furnace and telling sense that everything on these circuits is my stove/oven/furnace would be nice. As it is right now the small burners, large burners, bake, and broil are all different signatures to sense. My furnace winding up and down has never been identified. Maybe it’s time I dig back into the app and see if there are improvements.

With these smart plugs do you need to leave them connected to the same device for sense to know what it is? Ryan mentioned in the above link “It will take time, but the goal here is that you’ll eventually be able to put a smart plug on a device for a couple days, get it detected, and then move the smart plug to another device and repeat the process”. is this now possible?

@attk11, some quick answers from a long time user. The big picture is that fundamentals of Sense native detection have not changed, though based on my experience, Sense has gotten better at detecting a subset of EVs (EV detection is different than native detection and tuned on a per make/model perspective) and some kinds of HVAC systems (the Ecobee Historic integration might have helped Sense with my HVAC).

From what I remember back in 2019, heat pumps or ECM motors can cause noise that makes it difficult for sense to identify other loads.

Power usage noise from large loads is still an issue, and continues to be one of the reasons that Sense detections can vary widely between households.

I would love to tag every device/circuit. Hanging a CT clamp off my stove and furnace and telling sense that everything on these circuits is my stove/oven/furnace would be nice.

There’s still no user training option, but if you look closely at Sense native detection today, you’ll see that it views waveform detection very differently than you do. Understanding how Sense does it, can help “debug” why a particular device might not be detected.

As it is right now the small burners, large burners, bake, and broil are all different signatures to sense.
Still an issue - different on/off signatures for each because power is indeed different.

With these smart plugs do you need to leave them connected to the same device for sense to know what it is? Ryan mentioned in the above link “It will take time, but the goal here is that you’ll eventually be able to put a smart plug on a device for a couple days, get it detected, and then move the smart plug to another device and repeat the process”. is this now possible?

Sense doesn’t directly learn from smart plugs, so Ryan’s speculation still hasn’t come true. Best approach today is to use 1-2 roamer smart plugs like the Kasa EP25 to look at 48 hours histories of all the plug-in devices in your house. Some devices, that Sense has not found with native detection, that have a wide range of dynamic power usage, are good candidates for long-term smart plug usage. Devices and outlet strips that primarily use Always On are great candidates for NOT using smart plugs - just manually enter their Always On usage into the Always On itemization.

The following is a good thread on best ways to use smart plugs.