Yup, that’s the way I did it with my second Sense. No factory reset required to go from functioning Sense in solar mode (though I wasn’t really in Solar mode - Sense forced my new install there because it looked like Solar on the mains) to DCM mode, though I didn’t have much accumulated history, because I had started with essentially a new solar install. I looked all over for a way to switch off solar mode, but from what I tried, once a Sense Monitor is in solar mode, Sense doesn’t want to offer an easy way out, with good reason (switching out of solar on your main Sense would truly screw up your data).
Just to highlight my full process:
- Buy second Sense monitor and Flex cable
- Install the Sense, with the mains CTs on my mains, and the secondary (middle port) CTs installed on a single hot line of my two BALANCED (no neutral connection) 240V device.
- Run setup on the Sense, by creating a second account. For me, the setup process got stuck, then support eventually pushed it through, but it jumped to a Solar configuration, even though my second set of CTs weren’t on a solar backfeed. I suspect that Sense sees negative power on my mains (solar producing are than I am using) and automatically trips to solar.
- Ask Sense support to disable the Solar so I could go through the DCM setup process. They did.
- Execute DCM setup - for both devices, I couldn’t use the breakers to turn the devices on. I had to use the thermostat to start a floor loop and had to manually start the charging process for the EV. But in the end, setup worked !
I now have two 240V DCM devices registering on my second Sense account.