[Data Science Survey] - Are all of your refrigerators / freezers on smart plugs?

How do I grant permission?

Mine aren’t but I can add plugs to them. So far, I’ve been pretty happy with the detection of our two otherwise.

Ah, well then. I wonder if anyone has taken this up.

I have two refrigerators:
1- “LG Refrigerator” in app; Brand LG; Model LRMDC2306S

2- “Garage Refrigerator” in app; Brand Kenmore; Model 253.60502614

You can monitor these. Both of these are on KASA KP125 Smart Plugs.

One comment is the at electrical code for a number of years has required a separate circuit for the refrigerators. Just like Microwaves and Dishwashers.

1 Like

Fridge yes, deep freezer no…but I could lol

I have a few questions.

Is this information still requested and monitored? I have read conflicting posts that it is.

What if I have partial detection? The ice makers and water dispenser have been detected. I did not merge them. They are listed separately.

I have read some stories about Smart plugs frying or melting on higher Amp devices so I am reluctant to leave one unattended I can’t easily see.

If it’s still relevant I will add it to a smart plug.

@ron111157,
I’m not sure if the Data Science team still monitoring this thread. I’ll check. You shouldn’t be concerned about putting a refrigerator on a Kasa smartplug. They handle 1500W comfortably. A large fridge shouldn’t be more than 400-500W, most likely less. It would probably be very instructive seeing all the components of the fridge in action.

2 Likes

Thanks. I know the Kasa is rated to 1500W I just hate having it hidden behind the fridge. The fridge data plate says its 120v/1140W but I doubt it ever gets that high. I will install a Kasa this weekend and add it to the list here.

I have seen freezers do a defrost cycle with resistive heating elements that keep the doors from being stuck pull 900 watts. Not all appliances are smart and sometimes they have a defrost cycle while the compressor is running.
It is only for a few minutes and well within the capabilities of most smart plugs.
But people who go off-grid or backup mode are very often surprised because normally the compressor, once running uses only 100-150 watts.

1 Like

Brand GE model GFE28HMHES
On a Kasa EP25-1, same name
permission given

I have a 2nd Fridge but is not currently plugged into power.

1 Like

Update. I have removed the fridge from the smart plug. Nothing new was learned after 8 weeks, In fact I lost the detection of what little it had found (ice makers and water dispensers) Nothing new was detected (compressor, multiple fans, etc). with or without the smart plug.

Yes, you can use my data.

I know this is an old thread, but it’s the first time I’m seeing it. I have a couple of questions for Sense.

1. When the Sense device CTs are only sense (pun intended) the current on the mains, why does having refrigerators on mixed or separate downstream load breakers even matter? I mean Sense can even tell what breaker a device is on.

2. While I’m all in on using Smart Plug, mostly because of Senses complete failure to detect devices, what benefit will customers get from sharing Smart Plug detected device data with Sense? I’m asking because I started small with Smart Plugs that Sense could see. I labeled all those Smart Plugs with actual device names, model numbers, etc. Gathered data for months. Then moved the Smart Plug on to another device. I did all this with the hope that Sense would use my Smart Plug data as ground truth to better train their models. In fact I perhaps wrongly thought that Smart Plugs support was a ALL a ground truth data gathering effort and not a workaround to Sense’s failure to disaggregate load data from the mains waveform. However, several years in I can report Smart Plugs are on the proof that Sense does not work!

Moving my Smart Plugs on to different devices has only proven that Sense cannot detect devices even after they have access to ground truth. In my experience, the only reliable solution with Sense is to have device level monitoring with data reporting, i.e. Smart Plugs, on everything. Sense has only proven that consumer benefit is near zero. Leaving them with the only viable business model for them of pulling money from consumer pockets to fund the infrastructure so they can sell our data upstream to utilities and regulators. The failure of load disaggregation improvements and constant stream of blog posts about utility benefits, Smart Meters, etc. only support this conclusion.

1 Like

As a user, I can only suggest a couple answers to your second question.

1. I have seen better result over time on my HVAC. I think that was a result of ground truth from my Ecobee thermostats and possibly from my furnace fans that were each on smart plugs.

2. Until we see new forms of detection that have been alluded to, my take is that the ground truth is only now demonstrably helping with devices that have fast, clean and clear on and off transitions. That’s only about 25% of the smart plugs in my house. The rest have highly variable loads without fast, clear, clean symmetric transitions or are primarily Always On.

1 Like